More stuttering zoom stories.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Based on what I've posted on this issue in the past I don't believe anyone saying they can get smooth zooms out of these cameras until I see supporting footage. Can't help to think that people are referring to something different than I. I've tried to explain it in different ways but it may not be possible to put it in words I guess. Although, those with broadcast experience should know exactly what I mean so I can't understand when some of them say they get these feathered zooms. I've used many different fixed lens cameras in this category since the DVX100 and none of them have been capable of feathering or creeping. I guess someday I'll have to post footage myself from a detachable pro lens compared to a fixed lens to illustrate.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #32
Inner Circle

This is a password protected video on Vimeo
Password is
zoom

Not shot under ideal conditions and my hand shook the camera very slightly.
Z1 to Z99
Zoom speed set to 2
Obviously using the top zoom "button"
Took about 1:20 to go from start to finish.

zoom is smooth to my eye and has been when I used it for shoots that way.

I password protected it because this is for you folks and not the ""public of course.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Craig, thanks so much for posting that! For what it is it's pretty smooth to my eye too and fine if that's what the shot needs. But it is much, much faster than the type of zoom I'm talking about.

Rough approximation, around 70% reduction in speed may be in the area of what I'd call a "creep" or others describe as "imperceptible to the average eye". The zoom you performed also doesn't show feathering or ramping at the beginning and end of the zoom. Of course this is not operator based but as I've said before I believe fixed lens compact cameras do not have this capability. To say again, I would really love to be proven flat out wrong because I would love this in a compact camera.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Max, that's about bottom speed for the EX1. Some can't even get it that slow. No feathering though. I might be able to setup an "A to B" zoom which has a supposed ramp but the ramp doesn't behave like an operator controlled feather on a larger camera/lens.

Key though is that what clearly doesn't happen is a stuttering zoom which is what this thread was originally about.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Yes I agree with you that's good for speed 2 on the handle. I don't think our EX is that smooth on speed 2.

As far as stuttering, to me it's not even in the realm of conversation unless we're talking about a creeping zoom. Zoom stuttering at a faster than creep speed basically would be a non-functional zoom to me.

Zooms at the speed 2 range for EX can be hit or miss for these cameras but they are definitely possible, although made impractical by their unreliability in different cameras. Interesting suggestion for shot transition. I doubt it would do what we're talking about but would be fun to try.
Max Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds