Missing files after I transfer files to my Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Missing files after I transfer files to my Mac

When I use the XDCAM transfer utility with my mac to transfer files from my SXS cards they don't always transfer. I have to go and check to make sure they are all there and if not I have to go back in and transfer them again. When the clips are loaded in the utility software I select "Import all" but at times it skips files. What am I doing wrong or if there a safer way of importing files.

Jason
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

In all likelihood you're not making all the files available on spanned clips across cards.
Copy all clips to a hard drive with ClipBrowser (CRC On). Then add ALL FOLDERS to XDCAM Transfer. Select ALL, Import ALL.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The problem is if you have a shot that spans over 2 cards.
You have to first import all from the first card, and from the second card, from the second part of the shot you have to manually put the in and out points of the shot, otherwise it doesn't import the shot (not the first nor the second part).

It's a very stupid thing that should go automatically, because many people already lossed clips because of this.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's all automatic. You copy the files to the hard drive with ClipBrowser. Then import from hard drive with XDCAM Transfer. I've done four plus hour recordings and it comes in as ONE mov file.

You are creating a poor work habit and opening yourself to this and many other problems by importing from cards directly.

Read my first post again.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I apologize to Chris for pointing to another site but I can't yet upload tutorials to this site.

Importing XDCAM EX MP4 clips without worrying about split and spanned clips
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What I was doing was just inserting the card into my Mac Book and then opening the file transfer then importing them. The clips are not spanning over 2 cards because I only had one card in, its simply just a matter of the clips not getting imported. I had clips number from 00001-0073 but for some reason clips from 00048-00065 would not import on the first try. I had to manually go back and select them then import them over again. So I am better off copying the folder from the card to my Hard Drive then importing the folder using XDCAM Transfer.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot guys, so I will use clip browser with crc on to import the clips from my cards to my hard drive. Then I use my transfer utility to open the clips stored on my hard drive. So does the CRC automatically scan for missing files, I don't know how it works, I'm sorry.
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Major Player

It's possible that you're just not giving XDCAM Transfer enough time to log all the clips on your card before you select all and hit import. I've done that once or twice. The clips that haven't been seen yet are not imported.
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

That's a good reason to copy to the hard drive first.

If you import from the card and then delete the card and then discover clips are missing . . . oops.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds