DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Hoodman vs MxR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/360952-hoodman-vs-mxr.html)

Steve Kalle September 4th, 2009 05:09 PM

Hoodman vs MxR

I know about the extremely long thread discussing SxS adapters but I was wondering if anyone has tried non-Hoodman SD cards in their SxSxSDHC adapter. After all, its supposed to be a re-branded MxR.

I need to figure this out because the great folks at AbelCine are shipping in an EX1 for me but no one has 32GB SxS cards in stock(money has already been allocated for it). AbelCine has the Hoodman adapters and they said that they sell the Hoodman + Transcend SD all the time. So, I am thinking of getting the Hoodman & 2 32GB SD cards while I wait for the 32GB SxS to arrive.

Thanks

Leonard Levy September 4th, 2009 09:20 PM

There should be no problems. I used a Sandisk card in my hoodman adapter and it was fine.

Bob Grant September 5th, 2009 05:37 AM

The Hoodman adaptors are rebranded MxM, not MxR.

Piotr Wozniacki September 5th, 2009 06:36 AM

Confirmed. And they are a better fit (both inside the camera slots, and for the SDHC card) that the MxR. I have both, so I know what I'm talking about.

Be prepared for some new, exciting things in this department, as well!

Paul Frederick September 5th, 2009 06:41 AM

As I've mentioned in several other threads, I had no luck using brand new 16gbTranscend Class 6 (authenticated) cards in my hoodman adaptor. It seems to be an issue with the newer cards, as I just bought mine and they take 11 seconds for the red light to go off after you hit stop! Plus I would frequently get media error messages.

Again, I only tried the newest Transcends in my hoodman adapter but they are not reliable. Others are reporting the same with the new transcends and Hoodman. YMMV, but I'm sticking to the hoodman cards. They only take 4 seconds to turn the light from red to green and I get no media errors with them.

Piotr Wozniacki September 5th, 2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Frederick (Post 1314745)
YMMV, but I'm sticking to the hoodman cards. They only take 4 seconds to turn the light from red to green and I get no media errors with them.

Confirmed again. My adapter+card combos from MxM (identical to what Hoodman sells as their branded turnkey solutions) have NEVER needed "media restore", and the red-to-green light speed is comparable to original SxS (so much so, that I never had to care when triggering record/standby/record).

Steve Kalle September 5th, 2009 11:04 AM

My bad - I got confused about the MxM/MxR people splitting so I thought they were identical.

On MxM's site, they are selling ATP Pro Max SD cards - anyone have good experience with these cards? If so, which adapter did you use?

Paul, I have read your thread and it made me look into getting SxS instead, but the AbelCine sales guy swore up and down about the Hoodman/Transcend combo.