DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   HoodRiser Adaptor for the HoodLoupe 3.0 + HoodEye 3.0 and new Strap (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/363681-hoodriser-adaptor-hoodloupe-3-0-hoodeye-3-0-new-strap.html)

Barry J. Weckesser September 5th, 2009 12:01 PM

HoodRiser Adaptor for the HoodLoupe 3.0 + HoodEye 3.0 and new Strap

I just received the long-awaited HoodRiser attachment for the Hoodman - HoodLoupe 3.0 as well as the new strap to attach the system to the LCD screen + the new HoodEye 3.0 for the Hood Loupe. My first impressions (after trying it on the camera and a few indoor and outdoor shots) are very positive. The system fits the EX1 LCD screen perfectly with no light leaks, is very solid (in construction) and turns the LCD into an excellent viewfinder. A very professional addition as a focus assist to the EX1. They are all listed on this page: http://hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017

Boyd Ostroff September 5th, 2009 12:46 PM

I'm a little confused by that page since nothing mentions the EX1. Which of these items would you need to purchase to have the complete "system" for an EX1?

Barry J. Weckesser September 5th, 2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1315783)
I'm a little confused by that page since nothing mentions the EX1. Which of these items would you need to purchase to have the complete "system" for an EX1?

You would need the original HoodLoupe 3.0 + HoodRiser + Camcorder Mounting Strap. The HoodEYE 3.0 would be optional. I have used the the HoodLoupe 3.0 for 3 months with my EX1 but it was not ideal since it is made for LCDs up to 3.0" and the screen was cut off on both sides but for focusing it really worked well. Now the entire screen is visible and there are no light leaks. Without the HoodEye, the other three pieces total $ 135.

Nathan Hudson September 5th, 2009 01:06 PM

I think the combination of items that would be good for the EX1 would be........

The HoodLoupe 3.0
The Hood Riser
The HoodEye 3.0
Camcorder Mounting Strap

Barry J. Weckesser September 5th, 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Hudson (Post 1315891)
I think the combination of items that would be good for the EX1 would be........

The HoodLoupe 3.0
The Hood Riser
The HoodEye 3.0
Camcorder Mounting Strap

That is what I have and is ideal (the eye cup does help). I have never handled or owned an EX3 but I'll bet this system comes close - the optics and diopter adjustment on the HoodLoupe are very good (at least for my eyes).

Louis Schmidt September 5th, 2009 06:42 PM

Hoodman ex1 kit

Hello Fellow EX1 Users,

Lou Schmidt from Hoodman here... by Tuesday September 8th we will have an EX1 kit that will be easy to order on the Hoodman website. Barry needed his right away, so I shipped it before our webmaster posted an easy order kit for you on our Hoodman website. The EX1 kit will include 4 items.... the HoodLoupe 3.0, the HoodRiser attachment to accommodate your larger EX1 LCD screen, the Camcorder Mount strap and the Hoodeye 3.0 oversized eyecup for video use. Sorry for the delay... Tuesday we will show the kit mounted on an EX1 in an easy format to purchase on our website... Hoodman Corporation. When the page is complete I will post the direct order page address.

The EX1 kit will be on special for $149.96 a $15 savings.

Should you already have a HoodLoupe 3.0, you can purchace the other three items on line to complete your kit.

Boyd Ostroff September 5th, 2009 06:54 PM

Thanks all!

Michael Sims September 5th, 2009 09:05 PM

Ordered mine today. I saw the prototype at NAB and would have bought it on the spot had it been for sale. Come on UPS... Don't fail me now.

Barry J. Weckesser September 5th, 2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Sims (Post 1317316)
Ordered mine today. I saw the prototype at NAB and would have bought it on the spot had it been for sale. Come on UPS... Don't fail me now.

Michael - looked back on the old posts from NAB and you were the one who brought the new (prototype at that time) adaptor to my attention - have been in contact with Hoodman ever since. Bought the 3.0 version in June to take with me on vacation to Maui - the new adaptor,eyecup and strap are winners - you should not be disappointed.

Thanks.

Leonard Levy September 5th, 2009 11:56 PM

Very exciting Lou, Can't wait to see it.

Lenny Levy

Gints Klimanis September 8th, 2009 11:43 AM

Solid construction is important. The Hood Pro collapsed after a few uses, in part due to my manhandling and in part due to the elastic strap band.

Does the Hood Loupe slide around on the EX1 LCD? I'd like to see a product with a better anchor. The Hood Pro slid around too much and typically obscured the right side of the LCD, which isn't usually a problem unless you like to use the histogram.

Barry J. Weckesser September 8th, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 1327976)
Solid construction is important. The Hood Pro collapsed after a few uses, in part due to my manhandling and in part due to the elastic strap band.

Does the Hood Loupe slide around on the EX1 LCD? I'd like to see a product with a better anchor. The Hood Pro slid around too much and typically obscured the right side of the LCD, which isn't usually a problem unless you like to use the histogram.

The construction of the HoodLoupe (and Hood Riser) is very solid - nothing flimsy about this unit. If you attach it securely with the strap it does not slide around - yes, you can move it with your hand but just with normal shooting and your eye up against the cup there should be no movement.

Michael Sims September 8th, 2009 06:15 PM

Thanks, Barry. I was so impressed at NAB that I tried to make my own when I got home from Vegas. I already had the hood loupe. With enough gaffers tape and some plastic I bought at a hobby shop. It worked, but not well enough that I would use it on a paying job. I hope Hoodman ships it soon.

Bob Grant September 8th, 2009 11:35 PM

Available for ordering now.
Between that and my 'special focussing glasses' old age is getting expensive.

Louis Schmidt September 9th, 2009 12:13 PM

HOODMAN EX1 KIT on website

Fellow EX1 users... here is the link to the Hoodman EX1 kit for easy ordering....
HOODMAN EX1 KIT-Hoodman Corporation

Thanks,
Lou Schmidt
Hoodman Corporation