Sony Plug-in & BodyPack Transmitter Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony Plug-in & BodyPack Transmitter Help

I'm planning to buy this kit next week: Sony | UWP-V Series Wireless ENG Single Deluxe Kit | SOUWPVDE30K

But I have confused myself. The kit includes a "Plug-In Transmitter" which can make a wired handheld microphone into wireless. The kit also includes the "BodyPack Transmitter" which should be for a lav microphone. And a Pearstone "Universal Plug-In Transmitter Holster Case" is included, and now I am confused.

Does the Plug-In Transmitter plug DIRECTLY into the microphone or via an XLR cable?

If it needs a cable, then why didn't B&H include it in the kit when they say everything needed is included in the kit?

I want a "wireless" ENG microphone, not something that still uses wires. I found the Sony UTX-H2 wireless microphone which looks to be completely wireless.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice kit.

Yes, the plug-in transmitter has an XLR connector on its "top" that plugs into the bottom of a handheld mic.

I suppose you could use a standard XLR mic cable with it as well, but that's not typical.

If you have an existing handheld ENG mic (wired) this would be a good kit for you. If not, I think there's a kit with a self-contained wireless handheld mic.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Maybe this should have been posted in the audio forum?

The plug-on plugs directly on to the mic so I guess whoever named it that was thinking.

The great use of a plug-on becomes clear when you start using it to transmit from virtually anything with an XLR out or other out if you adapt it right and don't have impedance, level, or wiring incompatibility. Press mults, mixer outs, PA speaker loop outs, headphone outs if you are mindful of level. The plug-on should have a settable pad for this use.

Of course, your mic should not require phantom. The plug-on won't supply this.

And if you ever want to use a cable you can but you don't need to.

Happy Days.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's a pic that should help explain it.
Attached Images

Old September 7th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Trustee

According to the original post, he bought the B&H "kit" that comes with a hand held microphone and Pelican case to hold everything. So you have:

- Receiver that can receive EITHER the plug-on/hand-held mic or belt-pack/lavalier mic, but not both at the same time.

I have this exact kit (actually two of them) so let me know if you have any more questions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds