Help with Snow Leopard ..SxS will not work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Help with Snow Leopard ..SxS will not work

A good producer friend of mine and follow cameraman, just got a MAC Book Pro with snow leopard and he is having problems with the SxS cards, he writes:

"FCP works on my laptop, but the driver to import EX3 files won't work until the driver is updated."

so anyone out there know of a quick fix for this problem?

TIA....
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Major Player

No fix. He should have read the internet before upgrading. This was a problem that we identified from day one of Snow Leopard. Sony is said to be working on a new drivers, but it will be a while. You can use the Sony USB external reader or read the cards from the camera via USB.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Also XDCAM Transfer have a bug with Thumbnails Cache under Snow Leopard but the Rewrap in QuickTime for FCP use still work well.

As soon as my contact at Sony Support tell me it is ok , i will post a download link.

All buyers of any new Mac get Snow Leopard so we must be carefull about what we say since some users have not upgrade they just get a new Mac ... and get trap.
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You can still plug the camera in via USB and get the files off the cards that way. It is only the Express Card Slot on MacBook Pro's that are affected by the SxS driver issue.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Not exactly something one wants to do on a shoot. Of course if you trust the MxR type adaptors and get a new Mac with an SDHC slot, you're all set.

The thumbnail cache issue is a real drag too as you have to click OK for EACH CLIP but you can avoid XDCAM Transfer and use the Final Cut Pro Log & Transfer EX plugin which works fine in Snow Leopard.

Since the developers had the final release candidate of Snow Leopard a couple of weeks before the release and probably got word of actual release date a few days before (which was nearly a month early than some anticipated) they (Sony) should have posted a warning on their Support page.

Many developers let public betas or release candidates out the door if they were caught by the early release. Others posted either a "tests OK so far" or "we'll have updates in x days/week."

Sony's silence on the issue is a support faux pas IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
You can still plug the camera in via USB and get the files off the cards that way. It is only the Express Card Slot on MacBook Pro's that are affected by the SxS driver issue.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Major Player

It's not a hard problem to get around if you have a 10.5 (Leopard) installer disk, I just created another small partition and installed 10.5 as a second bootable option.

I can then boot into leopard and use Clip Browser to copy the BPAV's from the express card slot on to my external drives or even onto the 10.6 partition for editing later after a reboot. Once Sony fix the software I'll just remove the additional partition... carefully ;)

I really love the fact that 10.6 now sets the standard gamma to 2.2 and Final Cut 7 isn't doing any of that annoying gamma change stuff anymore.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

New driver: SXS Drivers

It even says Mac OS 10.6. Sony actually delivered "on time"
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Oyvid.
Yeah, first step done. Let's see how long it will take to get the browser's update.

Markus
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Major Player

mistake.........

Last edited by William Griffin; September 9th, 2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
William Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Major Player

the update works....Snow Leopard no more problems

Thanks Oyvid......

My producer/editor friend just emailed me this morning and the new driver for Snow Leopard, 10.6, that he installed.....WORKS....we can now edit SxS on his new laptop on FCP ....so we are now happy campers, as we say here in the US.

So it looks like the new driver has fixed all these problems.....

HTH
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank-you Oyvind Stokkan , i will kick some butts at Sony Since i was suppose to get info as soon as available and your link is Sony Canada .... i am Canadian.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds