Does this work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does this work?

Someone posted this up on the conversation about SDHC cards but no one really answered. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention. Even if nobody has tried these out yet, I would think there would be more chatter about Sony's Memory Pro Duo HG and Express Card Reader. With 30MB/s write speeds would seem fast enough to do S&Q Motion. Personally, I am not looking into any alternative method of recording as 2 x 8GB SxS cards are perfect for my needs. I hope I don't step on too many toes by what I'm about to say, however, I have never understood the logic of buying media that doesn't allow for use of the full potential of the camera. I especially don't get it because, if your gonna spend $6,000 dollars on a camera, what would force you to pinch pennies and get a less reliable form of storage. For me it was a no brainer to say, ok, i need one more card and I'm good. Granted I would have paid for more if I felt I needed. My workflow involves dumping footage on site. And if you are really doing shoots where you can't dump footage for a long time or in conditions that are prohibitive, your generally doing the types of shoots that could easily help pay off the SxS cards.

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG....I'm glad people are trying to figure this out in a way because eventually, the HOLY GRAIL will be unleashed which is either a really fast version of SDHC or some smaller memory module like Sony's Memory Pro Duo and will be compatible with the EX1 (IN ALL WAYS!!!). Again, I just don't see the point to invest until something comes along that doesn't in some way dumb down my camera and is RELIABLE no matter what function your using.

So here is the link to the reader.

Amazon.com: Sony MSACEX1 Adaptateur Memory Stick Duo Express Card: Electronics

And here is the link to the memory card.

Amazon.com: Sony MSMT8G/NK 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2) Media: Electronics

So what does everyone think? Could this be what we are looking for? I know it's not the more standardized "SDHC" but it achieves what most people turn to alternative media for in the first place.....lower cost. Also, please stay on topic, as I'm sure myself and others don't really want to comb through comments of those defending their reason to use SDHC. I'm trying to figure out if this will work, not trying to figure out why in your case it makes more sense to use alternative media. Thanks.

-Nate
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Major Player

NO it does not work..
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Brian. Thanks so much for the reply. I don't get why it wouldn't work. Can you tell me more about your experience? Did you take the dive and buy it blindly in hopes it would work, to be dissappointed? I'm interested to find out, why SDHC cards with reader, works and this doesn't. So weird. With apple killing off expresscard and Sony not having sxs card drivers ready for snow leopard, I'm starting to feel a little upset. You would think Sony would offer a solution that would allow people to download their footage just as fast. Moving over to USB and offering nothing that compares to the original speeds of downloading my footage seems, well, asinine.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ok, so i just read some other posts and realized that the sxs driver got released. I'm happy i can finally get snow leopard running, but still, BAD SONY, VERY BAD SONY, you should have had that available day one!!! Off to get Snow Leopard. Woo Hoo!
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds