DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Hoodman EX1 KIT for improved LCD viewing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/378828-hoodman-ex1-kit-improved-lcd-viewing.html)

Louis Schmidt September 9th, 2009 12:24 PM

Hoodman EX1 KIT for improved LCD viewing

Hoodman here...
Fellow EX1 users wanting to improve your outdoor LCD viewing performance... Hoodman has just began shipping its EX1 kit. Here is a link that will give you all the information you need...
HOODMAN EX1 KIT-Hoodman Corporation

Thanks,
Lou Schmidt
Hoodman Corporation

Doug Jensen September 9th, 2009 12:31 PM

Lou,

It looks like a winner! I'll be ordering one soon.

Forrest Burger September 9th, 2009 12:41 PM

Just ordered mine today with overnight shipping. Hopefully it arrives by the time I need it for a weekend shoot.

Will report back on how it works.

Forrest

Keith Moreau September 9th, 2009 08:31 PM

I just ordered the EX1 kit from Hoodman, which seemed to be in stock as of yesterday. With ground shipping and tax it totalled about $175, but hopefully will really come in handy for those times in low DOF situations where focus is critical and easy to get slightly off, only to realize when viewing on a larger monitor later.

Robert Rogoz September 10th, 2009 03:51 PM

I have a silly question- why not use a viewfinder then? I am not sure what is the advantage of turning an LCD into a viewfinder?

Keith Moreau September 10th, 2009 04:15 PM

Not silly at all but the EX1's LCD is excellent and with a loupe on it rivals the sharpness and resolution of a highdef external monitor -good enough for accurate focus. Unfortunately, the EX1 viewfinder resolution is mediocre, hence the need for a good, reliable loupe for the LCD.

Dave Morrison September 10th, 2009 08:01 PM

I'll probably get one, but Peaking has been working great for me so far.

Forrest Burger September 10th, 2009 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of my new Hoodman attachment that arrived today via UPS. I haven't shot anything with it yet, but I'm pretty impressed...sharp image, nice design and build. The only thing is the eye piece seems slightly rigid, not like the soft rubbery kind that comes with the EX1. I'll just have to get used to it.

Attached at the bottom of the camera is a Quick Release Pro attachment manufactured in Portland, OR. It's great for attaching two wireless mics via velcro or for just placing the camera on the ground or any flat surface. I have it on my EX1 at all times.

Another nice thing about the QRP adapter and the Hoodman viewfinder combo is it makes it easy to brace the camera against my body, put my eye up to the viewfinder while supporting the combo with my left hand under the QRP. This is definitely the steadiest I've been able to handhold this camera without a shoulder mount...the extra weight from the QRP is a benefit. I can still reach the focus wheel with the fingers on my left hand.

Outside of interchangeable lenses, genlock and the other advantages of the EX3, the Hoodman really takes the EX1 up a notch. Looking forward to putting it to the test outdoors this weekend.

Forrest

Barry J. Weckesser September 11th, 2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest Burger (Post 1338295)
Here are a couple of pictures of my new Hoodman attachment that arrived today via UPS. I haven't shot anything with it yet, but I'm pretty impressed...sharp image, nice design and build. The only thing is the eye piece seems slightly rigid, not like the soft rubbery kind that comes with the EX1. I'll just have to get used to it.

Attached at the bottom of the camera is a Quick Release Pro attachment manufactured in Portland, OR. It's great for attaching two wireless mics via velcro or for just placing the camera on the ground or any flat surface. I have it on my EX1 at all times.

Another nice thing about the QRP adapter and the Hoodman viewfinder combo is it makes it easy to brace the camera against my body, put my eye up to the viewfinder while supporting the combo with my left hand under the QRP. This is definitely the steadiest I've been able to handhold this camera without a shoulder mount...the extra weight from the QRP is a benefit. I can still reach the focus wheel with the fingers on my left hand.

Outside of interchangeable lenses, genlock and the other advantages of the EX3, the Hoodman really takes the EX1 up a notch. Looking forward to putting it to the test outdoors this weekend.

Forrest

You might try using Hoodman WristShot: http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-WS1. I have used it along with the HoodLoupe 3.0 (prior to the new adaptors) and it worked out quite well - frees up your left hand completely and transfers the weight to your right forearm.

I also like the new unit (Hoodriser etc.) - looking forward to using it for a real trial this afternoon.

Piotr Wozniacki September 11th, 2009 04:46 AM

What would be very interesting to me (and I guess to others as well), is to see a photo of a person actually using the EX1 with Hoodman loupe against his/her eye. Could some of you guys provide us with one?

Greg Chisholm September 11th, 2009 07:10 AM

Nice solution

from the looks of it, it seems to be just what the doctor ordered for ex1 users. I may have kept my ex1 if this existed a year ago.

good job hoodman... and much cheaper than zacuto.

Piotr Wozniacki September 11th, 2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chisholm (Post 1339929)
from the looks of it, it seems to be just what the doctor ordered for ex1 users.

Yes it does; however seeing the actual position of the hand-held camera, with the loupe against the operator's eye, would be worth more than 1,000 words...

In Forrest's grabs it seems to me like it's a bit too short for comfortable positioning the camera. The EX1's own viewfinder makes hand-held shooting very easy - what a pity its resolution is so low!

Barry J. Weckesser September 11th, 2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1339944)
Yes it does; however seeing the actual position of the hand-held camera, with the loupe against the operator's eye, would be worth more than 1,000 words...

In Forrest's grabs it seems to me like it's a bit too short for comfortable positioning the camera. The EX1's own viewfinder makes hand-held shooting very easy - what a pity its resolution is so low!

I flip the viewfinder up and out of the way and at least for me it feels comfortable.

Forrest Burger September 11th, 2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1339409)
What would be very interesting to me (and I guess to others as well), is to see a photo of a person actually using the EX1 with Hoodman loupe against his/her eye. Could some of you guys provide us with one?

I'll try to get someone to snap a couple of shots of me this weekend. I'll be giving it a workout during my daughter's soccer games on Saturday and Sunday in the Seattle area.

Marc Myers September 11th, 2009 01:19 PM

Anyone concerned that the hinge isn't up to the job of holding any additional weight or stress.