OffLoad 4xSD Cards at the same time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

OffLoad 4xSD Cards at the same time

Hello ALL,
Just wanted to share this work around i found, i wanted to purchase a multi card reader for my Sony XD Cam, but it was a bit out of the budget, so i went looking for a cheeper set up. I found on ebay a 4 x usb hub and 4 x USB to SD card adaptors, i think $22.00 AU all up.

Now you can open all 4 card and copie them to a backup folder. Done. But !! If you wanted to go the next step read on,

I downloaded a copy of the shotput pro software and hey presto it all works. Speed is equal to coping one card as it is to coping 4 cards at once.

I have posted this to help the people that are on a budget.

Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
OffLoad 4xSD Cards at the same time-dsc03908.jpg   OffLoad 4xSD Cards at the same time-dsc03910.jpg  

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
I downloaded a copy of the shotput pro software and hey presto it all works. Speed is equal to coping one card as it is to coping 4 cards at once.

Rob.
Are you saying that the data transfer for all four cards at the same time is equal to just transfering data from one card, or do you mean the data transfer per card equals that of a single card reader.

I can't see how all four streams of data will transfer at the same time as the USB port has its limitations. If this is the case then what is the advantage other than being able to load up four cards at a time, which I cant see the point of doing.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

the data transfer rate from either the card or the reader is probably way lower than the usb bandwith available . so it would be no suprise if 4 card readers are able to transfer at full speed in the same time.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #4
Contributor

Actually e-films announced a similar product last month. It ingests several cards in the time it takes one card (not sequential loading) http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...rd-reader.html
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

shotput pro 2..1.1

I think the key to the simultaneous downloading on MAC platform (intel chip ) is using the latest version of Shotput Pro.

"Prior versions of Shot Put Pro™ utilized multi-threading techniques to copy HD Memory cards to multiple destinations in parallel." said Dan Montgomery, President of Imagine Products, Inc. "The newest Shot Put Pro™ now takes that a step further by simultaneously copying multiple files within each memory card's contents to multiple destinations on multi-core processor Macintosh computers. The result is speed improvements of 20-40% faster copy times."

Unfortunately for me, I have not been able to test this as I still use the earlier version of Shotput pro on an older Mac Powerbook (ppc) .
Chris Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds