Calibrate MBP??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Calibrate MBP???

ok, i've done a search here and didn't really find much info or at least not the info i was looking for. i'm wondering what color profiles you Mac/MBP owners are using. I have a 15" MBP from the summer of 2007. I read that FCP uses, assumes, matches to Gamma 1.8 while PCs use a 2.2 Gamma. I'm not concerned so much about what NLEs do to the color profiles because i'm really only interested in "calibrating/adjusting" my monitor for field use viewing footage with Clip Browser. Before i was using the standard Adobe 1998 space and images looked flat, no contrast. After fiddling around with the Apple Display Calibrator Assistant i found that a Gamma closer to 2.2 looked much nicer than the recommended 1.8 Gamma. Now, i know what looks good to me but its purely my subjective opinion with no scientific/mathematical reasoning. what do you experts use?

thanks as always,
Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Michael,

I've been using a Spyder Pro calibrator, setting to 6500k / 2.2 Gamma. It's about as good as I've bee able to get with a MBP screen. Remember that MBP screens (at least the one I have) are only 8-bit and will not display truly accurate gamma and color when compared to an identically calibrated cinema display or properly setup broadcast monitor--- but it's good enough for a general idea.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

cool, but if the camera's recording 8-bit to the SxS cards then does a 10-bit monitor matter that much?
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Technically / on paper it may not matter, though I have never been able to get a truly accurate calibration on a MBP screen when compared to an properly set up monitor that I know I can trust. My guess is that it's a gamut issue with the screen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds