Another Focusing Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another Focusing Issue

I am having problems focusing with my EX3. This is a different problem than the other focus issues of not being able to focus at all (which my camera does also, if I power off/on it seems to fix this problem).

Recently I find it very hard to focus on wide shots. I zoom in on the object focus, but when I pull out, everything (including the object I focused on) is out of focus. Also it seems like sometimes I cannot focus at all. (the focus ring focuses and causes a change in focus, but nothing is actually in focus just real blurry). The focus seems extremely selective and can only focus on very selective and short range objects (ie the object is in focus but everything else is blurry). I have had this camera for over a year and have not had this problem before. Not it seems to be happening all the time. Powering off/on, change of battery, does not fix this problem. I have not upgraded the firmware since buying the camera and it is the original firmware the EX's were shipped with. (I believe 1.03 but don't quote me).

Anyone having this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Your problem is that your back focus is off . . . you need to get a back focus chart and set your lens. I do not know why Sony did not include the back focus chart with the EX-3.

Mitcorp > Articles > Free back-focus chart - Broadcast and professional solutions

DSC Labs | Combi DX-1 BackFocus | CDX1BF | B&H Photo Video
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Wow, that DSC chart is expensive.

We include one for free with our EX3 Field Guide, plus the instuctions for how to use it.
Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides

But, if you go to the first link Brian gave, you can easily print your own with any laser printer.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

you guys are awesome. Thanks!!!
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had that problem as well but the back focus never fixed the problem. Sony Canada had to replace the lens on my EX1 to fix the problem.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
But, if you go to the first link Brian gave, you can easily print your own with any laser printer.
The chart also includes the CVP logo on most of the page.

Try this link for a more useful chart.

Free Charts
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Wow, that DSC chart is expensive.

Brian linked to a combi chart, mistakenly I'm sure. Rear lit transparency charts more costly than the front lits, better in some respects. The manufacturing process is more complicated, cost is higher. Some studio engineers like them. They're used in many camera repair, engineering departments. I doubt most people here would be using a combi chart.

You can find several charts on the net or use the free DSC charts link. If you want to buy one get a front lit.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions appear to have worked. Pretty cool that the EX3 adjusts back focus automatically. Very easy process. Hopefully this will remedy the problem as it has already appears to have been fixed. Just in time for a big, long shoot tomorrow, WHEW!

Thanks again for the knowledgeable answers. Much appreciated :)
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds