MxR + Sandisk 16Gb failure. Crucial footage lost - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Could multiple, simultanious camera flashes overload the camera's recording capabilities to cause this to happen, or was it just a coincidence?
I'd put a lot of money on coincidence.

Out of interest, had he used this card much before, or was it a new one? There have certainly been tales of new cards being unreliable right from day one, but generally once they've shown themselves to be reliable, they tend to carry on being so. Hence the advice of never, ever using a new card for real work before properly testing it.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

No offense to your friend, or anyone else out there doing this, but anyone who records 1-time footage with a single camera, and a single recording system with no safety net, is flying by the seat of their pants.

I hope your friend takes this opportunity to go out and purchase a redundant recording system, whether it be a Firestore with solid state recording, or a Convergent NanoFlash, which would be my FIRST choice. Better quality, redundant in it's own right, and relatively inexpensive compared to a lawsuit. If this is really a "business" it should be able to be deducted or amortized as a necessary business expense.

I just don't understand how someone can set themselves up in a business shooting unrepeatable events, and not have ANY backup plan.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
I'd put a lot of money on coincidence.

Out of interest, had he used this card much before, or was it a new one? There have certainly been tales of new cards being unreliable right from day one, but generally once they've shown themselves to be reliable, they tend to carry on being so. Hence the advice of never, ever using a new card for real work before properly testing it.
It was a brand new card. He had used it on one other job.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
No offense to your friend, or anyone else out there doing this, but anyone who records 1-time footage with a single camera, and a single recording system with no safety net, is flying by the seat of their pants.

I hope your friend takes this opportunity to go out and purchase a redundant recording system, whether it be a Firestore with solid state recording, or a Convergent NanoFlash, which would be my FIRST choice. Better quality, redundant in it's own right, and relatively inexpensive compared to a lawsuit. If this is really a "business" it should be able to be deducted or amortized as a necessary business expense.

I just don't understand how someone can set themselves up in a business shooting unrepeatable events, and not have ANY backup plan.
Have to agree. I have mentioned the Nanoflash to him several times but he said it was far too expensive for him to consider. Interestingly, he has a Canon XHA1 which is now gathering dust since he purchased the EX1. And, he is shooting 1080i with the EX1 so he could easily use both cameras and have no conflict when it comes to editing.

I have told him on numerous occassions he is sailing close to the wind with a single camera but it has so far fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps after this shock to his system, he will use the Canon as second camera.

I myself always use two cams, and can sleep at night not having to worry about what I will have to tell disappointed and angry newlyweds the folling day.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Guys,

I have an EX 3 with a redundant recording system it's called SxS cards, the primary recorder is a Convergent NanoFlash which gives better quality than the SxS. One of the things to remember with the NanoFlash or any other add on recorders mostly by default they operate from the embedded timecode from the SDI signal. Should the camera stop to recording to it’s cards the NanoFlash will also stop. The NanoFlash is equipped with a remote port and I would recommend that you use the optional remote control switch with inbuilt tally light. The remote can be mount anywhere on your camera that you comfortable with. I leave mine permanently connected above the NanoFlash and the cable rolled up under the mounting plate held with velcro so it’s ready for use at anytime.

Where critical work is involved like weddings, I would set the NanoFlash to operate from it's own internal timecode and use the remote control switch to activate it separately, in case of camera stops recording. This way the Nanoflash will still continue to record and you will be saved. The other thing that I have learnt is that the compact flash cards are a lot more robust than the SD cards and very few reports of problems. You can buy them at most photographic stores where ever you are. With the release of the Sandisk 64gb pro compact flash card which I found I can now buy at about half the price of SxS 32gb will make long form work a lot easier. This is a fantastic system I can highly recommend the NanoFlash. I have attached a picture of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
MxR + Sandisk 16Gb failure. Crucial footage lost-cam-4.jpg  
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Major Player

did your friend ever try the card in a reader or any of the other possible fixes or did he just give it to someone? interested to know.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
It was a brand new card. He had used it on one other job.
I think that's where the problem lies. There have certainly been other cases of cards not up to spec right from the start, and hence the golden advice to always, always test new cards before use.

Not simply make a straightforward recording, but see how long it will overcrank for at various framerates in overcrank mode. It will fail - but seeing how long before that happens gives a good idea of how much headroom the card has.

I'd be quite happy to use a tried and tested SDHC card on a paying job, but certainly not one straight out of the packet.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan View Post
did your friend ever try the card in a reader or any of the other possible fixes or did he just give it to someone? interested to know.
He tried it in a dedicated SDHC card reader but to no avail. It just froze at a certain point and that was that. The guy that fixed it did a good job as the footage is now safely in Vegas and the bride happy with the phone call telling her all is now well. He is now investing in a couple of SxS cards.

I did tell him to buy SxS for critical work and to use the SDHC for less important stuff. Guess he learned the hard way.
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #24
Trustee

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to get setup with a NanoFlash?
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I think they are $2995, and you buy compactflash cards for them. Not sure if the price includes the short HDSDI cable or not (though it should). I'd buy one right now if I had the money. Darn good solution at a fair price.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #26
Trustee

Sometime again I might look into it more. It would be nice to have one.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

You also need this clause in your contract so you can't be sued for an amount beyond what the client paid you.

If [your company] fails to perform as scheduled for any reason, the amount of damages paid to or suffered by [your client] will be limited to the amount(s) paid to [your company] (i.e. refund of deposit or total paid to date) and not to exceed the agreed upon amount of this contract. [your client] agrees to forfeit all punitive damages. No other warranty is expressed or implied.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #28
New Boot

SDHC sandisk files corruption

Hi I am new to this forum, I was reading steve shovlar's thread and I wish to have some help from him, I am currently suffering from a same card corruption, sent to uk( Recovery Company)for recovery but still I am pending. the card is in my hands.Can someone help me to recover these important XDcam files?
Richard Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #29
New Boot

Sandisk SDHC card corruption

Hi I am new to this forum, I was reading steve shovlar's thread and I wish to have some help from him, I am currently suffering from a same card corruption, sent to uk( Recovery Company)for recovery but still I am pending. the card is in my hands.Can someone help me to recover these important XDcam files?
Richard Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cassar View Post
There were some suggestions earlier in this thread, but moreover, you need to state exactly which card caused the problem so we can all know.
I am not having much luck with newer cards. My older ones NEVER fail. The problems don't always show up right away either. Third recording caused a "media restore" error on the last Sandisk card I returned for a refund.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds