DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   might this be the answer re importing from SxS into Mac Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/385802-might-answer-re-importing-sxs-into-mac-pro.html)

Malcolm Hamilton September 11th, 2009 08:05 AM

might this be the answer re importing from SxS into Mac Pro?

Hi all,
Just wondering if this is what some of you with Mac Pros have been waiting for:

Sonnet - Qio: Professional Universal Media Reader/Writer Plus Four eSATA Ports

works with SxS cards (and others).
Cheers, Malcolm

Alister Chapman September 11th, 2009 08:27 AM

Certainly does. Wonder what it will cost.

Craig Seeman September 11th, 2009 09:17 AM

Finally (crosses fingers). I don't see a price. Curious about the transfer speed of course.

Brooks Graham September 11th, 2009 10:23 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it costs $1000.

Sonnet announces Qio universal media reader/writer | MacNN

Gary Barr September 11th, 2009 10:54 AM

it'll be $999 and they're aiming for an Oct release but don't know when yet

Andrew Stone September 16th, 2009 11:20 PM

Regardless of cost I would tread very carefully before buying this. Not to diss Sonnet. They make good stuff but we have not heard is XDCAM media can be imported off SxS cards with this unit (unless I missed something in their marketing material). They say it will accept SxS cards but you can put mp3s or family snapshots on an SxS card and import them through any card reader that accepts SxS cards.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but don't spend a thousand bucks until it is verified you can import the EX media through this unit.

Dean Sensui September 16th, 2009 11:56 PM

Would be nice to get this with a Firewire connection to the computer.

Alister Chapman September 17th, 2009 12:35 AM

If it will work with SxS cards then I see no reason why it wouldn't allow you to copy the files off, after all they are just data files no different to stills or anything else.

Ned Soltz April 5th, 2010 03:05 PM

Just adding to this old thread, I have a Qio sitting on my desk now, which I will be reviewing for publication.

It is a pretty amazing little box with connection to Express34 card or PCIe card for desktop computer, pass-through power and 4 eSata ports.

Additionally it is effectively an Express34 or PC cardbus expander. For example, it works with the Express34 interface of the AJA i/o Express and presumably with the Matrox MXO2 or MXO2 mini (I'm testing that later today).

I also do not have any P2 devices here at the moment, so only have been able to test SxS, CF and SDHC cards.

Connected to MacBook Pro, I copied about 15gb from 16gb SxS card to attached Sonnet F2 raid in a little under 3 minutes. Using Shotput Pro, the exact copy time was 164 seconds.

Inserting CF cards from NanoFlash (recorder 1920x1080 23.98 at 100 Mbps LongGOP), I was able to play at full data rate directly from the card.

While the list is $999 (street price at B&H is less), the Qio is much more than a card reader and has some significant uses in edit situations where dealing with a wide range of solid state media.

More as my test progress....

Ned Soltz

Buba Kastorski May 13th, 2010 05:16 PM

sorry, i didn't get this,
I won't be able to import from SxS on MacBook Pro?
I was planning to buy 17", 15" doesn't have express card reader, so 3K piece won't read SxS?
thanks,

Craig Seeman May 13th, 2010 05:29 PM

This thread is about MacPro which has no express port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1526716)
sorry, i didn't get this,
I won't be able to import from SxS on MacBook Pro?
I was planning to buy 17", 15" doesn't have express card reader, so 3K piece won't read SxS?
thanks,

Ed Kukla May 13th, 2010 07:04 PM

Bubba

My MBP 17" with Express Card slot works with SxS & SDHC (with card adapter) just fine. Not to worry.

Would there be a slimmed down less expensive version of this box coming? Those tx times are enticing.

Oliver Neubert May 14th, 2010 03:08 AM

buba

I bought a new MBP 17" in January because I was worried Apple would get rid of the Express card slot, installed FCS and the SXS drivers. The machine went into a kernel panic until I deinstalled VLC. Formatted the harddrive and reinstalled everything from scratch. After a lot of trouble, Apple replaced my MBP with a new machine at the end of February.

Same procedure, same problems, until I uninstalled VLC. The SXS are recognized, but Log and Transfer does not work. I have to use XDCAM Transfer and then import the files to the project.
The machine got really slow as well. Not just when using SXS but in general. I uninstalled the SXS drivers last week and now the MBP is really fast...

What I have to do now is reinstall the drivers when I need to capture on the set and uninstall them before viewing the footage in my project. Otherwise I get the spinning beachball for a few minutes before each "play clip command". Not a great workflow but the only way I can make it perform reasonably.
I was happy with my old MBP running 10.5.8 - no problems there, but these Laptops would not let me install 10.5...

ShotputPro to offload to an external FW drive works fine, but using log and capture on my MBP does not load the Shotput Pro Folders. On my office machine MacPro 8-core the same folders work perfectly...

Some people do not seem to have these problems, others do. Hope you are as lucky as Ed...

Rob Katz May 17th, 2010 12:26 PM

t buba

I bought a new MBP 17" in January because I was worried Apple would get rid of the Express card slot, installed FCS and the SXS drivers. The machine went into a kernel panic until I deinstalled VLC. Formatted the harddrive and reinstalled everything from scratch. After a lot of trouble, Apple replaced my MBP with a new machine at the end of February.

Same procedure, same problems, until I uninstalled VLC. The SXS are recognized, but Log and Transfer does not work. I have to use XDCAM Transfer and then import the files to the project.
The machine got really slow as well. Not just when using SXS but in general. I uninstalled the SXS drivers last week and now the MBP is really fast...

What I have to do now is reinstall the drivers when I need to capture on the set and uninstall them before viewing the footage in my project. Otherwise I get the spinning beachball for a few minutes before each "play clip command". Not a great workflow but the only way I can make it perform reasonably.
I was happy with my old MBP running 10.5.8 - no problems there, but these Laptops would not let me install 10.5...

ShotputPro to offload to an external FW drive works fine, but using log and capture on my MBP does not load the Shotput Pro Folders. On my office machine MacPro 8-core the same folders work perfectly...

Some people do not seem to have these problems, others do. Hope you are as lucky as Ed...

oliver-

that is a crummy bit of luck.

i imagine the ram on your mbp is maxed out?

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Oliver Neubert May 17th, 2010 02:11 PM

yep - 8 GB RAM...