ProRes or XDCAM for EX3?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Major Player

ProRes or XDCAM for EX3??

Hello,

with the new FCP Do i now setup my time line as XDCAM EX 720P50 35mb /VBR as that FCP want to set it to the first time i drop the video into the time line, or do i start to use the Pro Res. The questions is what one to use . I shoot on a EX3 720P50. Most of the fobs i do are about 3 to 4 hrs in shot length. I have the latest Mac pro all specked out so power is no problems, what i am looking for is to get the best qlty from camera to DVD.

Rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Trustee

1) Choose Easy Setup>XDCAM EX 720 50P
2) Create a New Project
3) Select the Sequence that's created by the New Project
4) Go to Sequence>Settings
5) Go to the Render Control tab and choose Codec: Apple Pro Res 422

With this setup, you can drop your footage into the timeline without rendering. But when you do have to render (because you've added a title or multiple layers of video) it will render that segment as ProRes. There are a number of good reasons you want to render as ProRes. Speed, repeatability, quality, etc...

I've been using this workflow since January and it's worked great.
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I would do what Mitchell suggests with one exception and that is if I plan on saving my finished production back to the EX in which case I would render to XDCAM EX and not ProRes.
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
1) Choose Easy Setup>XDCAM EX 720 50P
2) Create a New Project
3) Select the Sequence that's created by the New Project
4) Go to Sequence>Settings
5) Go to the Render Control tab and choose Codec: Apple Pro Res 422

With this setup, you can drop your footage into the timeline without rendering. But when you do have to render (because you've added a title or multiple layers of video) it will render that segment as ProRes. There are a number of good reasons you want to render as ProRes. Speed, repeatability, quality, etc...

I've been using this workflow since January and it's worked great.
Hi Mitchell, thanks for that, i will give it a go, starting a new project today. Cheers.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds