EX3 Recording Solutions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi,

I think I have mentioned before that I love the idea of the Nano Flash. However, I would imagine, it only really comes into play for you lucky chaps who are delivering for broadcast to a network or selling stock footage?

Most stuff we are doing at the moment is for either web video or to SD DVD. I thought about the Nano because you can down-convert on the fly using the IMX codec but, from what I know, ( I don't know much!) IMX is only for professional broadcast delivery and not DVD's. Am I right?

I suppose when Blu-Ray has more of a hold the Nano Flash will be more worth it.
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #17
Inner Circle

In the latest firmware update CD added the ability to record direct to .mpg files at SD DVD and HD BluRay ready bitrates. The files can be used directly in most DVD authoring packages.

IMX files are a type of Mpeg2 file. At 50Mb/s it is 4:2:2 and very high quality. This would be very suitable as a shooting format for those wanting to produce high quality DVD's.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Alister,

You may be swaying me towards parting with some cash!!! If that can up the quality of SD DVD (no artifacts on moving leaves, grass and improved motion) then I may be very tempted!!
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Vortex Media

I'd buy one in a second if it could record an HDMI signal that has HDCP (copy protection). I have an HDMI output signal that I regulalry need to record from a particular piece of equipment and, although I created the content myself, the device itself adds HDCP to all output -- thus making it impossible for me to record the signal with any HD recorder (or signal converter) that I can find. It seems that once HDCP has been added to a signal, nobody is willing to build a device that can record it. If the NanoFlash could overcome that hurdle, I'd buy one immediately.
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Doug,

As much as we would like to, the law is very clear about this.

We just can't do it.

I know it is unlikely, but is there a menu or switch that can be used to turn off the "Broadcast Bit" in your equipment.

If you let me know the manufacturer, and model number, of the equipment, I will be happy to research to see what I can find. You can send me a private email if you wish.
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Dan,

Thank you for the offer to take a closer look at my situation. I will PM you later this morning with the details.

I hope you don't think I was singling out the NanoFlash for not being able to record HDCP encoded signals. I know it is an industry-wide issue.

Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Going back to the IMX files...has anyone edited with them in FCP? Just wondered if there are any major hurdles?
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #23
Inner Circle

No problem with IMX provided you have version 6.0.4 of FCP or higher. It may work with earlier versions but I'm not sure. IMX is part of the Sony XDCAM family. It was introduced as a replacement/upgrade of the Betacam SX cameras about 7 or 8 years ago, so it's a very mature format. The first generation SD XDCAM PDW-530P used IMX as well and it's now available as an option on the PDW-700 and standard on the PDW-F800. Several European broadcasters use IMX as their format of choice for high quality SD work. At 50Mb/s it's better than Digibeta.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I want it!!!
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #25
Regular Crew

What is file convertor ?

hi
I have updated the firmware 1.0.64 to my NanoFlashXDR,

There is one more download available on CD website.It is file convertor 1.2 .What is the use and what is it?

I have ordered two swit batteries and charger.They also suply 4pin xlr cable with d trap.Is it going to work ?I mean is it same as 4 pin hirose connector cable? please help me somebody.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Ramji,

If you download the File Converter, there is documenation included in the download.

This is a Mac based program.

The File Converter serves multiple purposes.

To name a few:

1. Converts MOV to MXF.

2. Copy files from one folder to another or CompactFlash card.
This copies are specially made so that the destination files are unfragmented files on the Mac.

3. Allows large files, up to 30 GB, such as a project rendered to our specifications in Final Cut Pro, to be copied back to a CompactFlash card so it can be played on a Flash XDR or nanoFlash.
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

And the software works very well. Thanks Dan. Just had 12 more cards arrive the Nano is working hard.
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramji Meena View Post
hi

I have ordered two swit batteries and charger.They also supply 4pin xlr cable with d trap.Is it going to work ?I mean is it same as 4 pin hirose connector cable? please help me somebody.
Dear Ramji,

The Swit batteries have Female D-Tap power outlets.

You need our Male D-Tap to 4-Pin Female Power Cable to power the nanoFlash.

As far as I know, we do not supply a D-Tap to 4-Pin XLR cable.

We make a Flash XDR and a nanoFlash.

Since you mentioned "nanoFlashXDR", I do not know if you have a Flash XDR or a nanoFlash.

The Power Input connector for the nanoFlash is a 4-Pin Male Hirose, wired Pin-1 = Positive, Pin-4 = Negative.
Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector.

The Power Input connector for the Flash XDR is a 4-Pin Male XLR, wired Pin-1 = Ground, Pin-4 = Positive.
Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female XLR Connector.

A D-Tap to 4-Pin XLR cable, wired so that Pin-1 = Ground, Pin-4 = Positive could be used to power the Flash XDR, but has no application for the nanoFlash.

A 4-Pin XLR cable is not the same as a 4-Pin Hirose cable.
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
And the software works very well. Thanks Dan. Just had 12 more cards arrive the Nano is working hard.
Thanks Paul!
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Thank you Dan,
I have a nanoflash.

1.Please also tell me how I can i copy the file convertor?Should I copy it to my Mac book pro which has FCP?

The Power Input connector for the nanoFlash is a 4-Pin Male Hirose, wired Pin-1 = Positive, Pin-4 = Negative.Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector. ..... A 4-Pin XLR cable is not the same as a 4-Pin Hirose cable.

2.You will not believe Dan this 4pin hirose cable is not available in India and if import it the shipping is more than the cost of the cable .It really frustating.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds