Jitter or shimmer in picture. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Jitter or shimmer in picture.

Hi,

Something I have been noticing with my EX3, is when I’ am panning the camera nice and slowly across trees with a lots of small leaves on in bright sunlight, I do notice a lot of shimmer or jitter in the picture amounts the leaves when it's displayed on our Sony LCD 46 inch Tv.
This is when filming in Pal HQ 25P 1/50 but if I change over to 50i it seems to disappear.
I have tried increasing the shutter speed in 25P but make’s no difference.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Are using Doug's Picture Profile, have not tried yet but would turning off the Detail be likely to help?
Any advice is appreciated.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Trustee

try lowering the shutter speed not increasing it. Add a touch of motion blur. It may help.

Also try lowering your detail.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Vortex Media

I've noticed that kind of effect once or twice before on the camera's LCD but never noticed it later in post. Try editing the "problem" footage and exporting it to your final medium. I'll bet it will be gone, but if not, try lowering the detail to -10 or less next time.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dunno what's causing your problem, but two things immediately came to mind: bad scalers and sharpness.

Bad scalers: most TVs these days (all?) have hardware scalers built into them. Some are better than others. Some are downright evil. When given a source with too much detail, they can introduce all sorts of artifacts like moire, etc.

Sharpness: it does the opposite of what you think. Turning up the sharpness control on your TV/monitor adds high frequency edge "enhancement" noise to the signal. See if you can turn it off.

But all of that is blaming the display. Without seeing your source material on a true broadcast monitor, it's tough to say where the problem is happening.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It sounds like edge aliasing. Slow pans and fine detail will often show up edge aliasing. Try turning the detail down below -8. It may also be that the sharpness or detail settings on the TV are set too high.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds