Using the EX-3 as a recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the EX-3 as a recorder

I wonder if I could use my Ex-3 as a temporary recorder? I have a client that wants me to take some of his footage from his computer (raw clips) and then use them in another project.
My main camera is the EX-3 and I would like to have the footage on a 16gig SxS card for quick and easy ingestion into my system. Is this possible ?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ronnie - Check out this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ck-camera.html
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Ronnie,

Forgive me if I'm missing something (it wouldn't be the first time) but I don't understand why you'd want to use the camera or a SxS card just to move footage around from computer to computer. What's the benefit?

Using a Western Digital Passport drive, a 16GB thumbdrive, a 16GB CF card, etc. would seem to me to be a lot easier way to do it.

Are these "raw" clips that he has on his computer native EX files? If so, use Clip Browser to move them to the storage device. But if they are just any old video files, then just drag and drop them.
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm guessing that he doesn't feel knowledgeable enough to use software to convert his clients footage to XDCAM EX footage. Instead he'd like to take an analog signal from his clients equipment, run it into the EX3, and record the signal onto the SxS card so that he could easily capture it into his system.

I agree with Doug. I think you should learn how to convert the footage properly. If you're going from PC to Mac, there's a great thread on the Non-Linear Editing for Apple section of the forums. (it was a GREAT help to me these last couple of days)
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I'm guessing that he doesn't feel knowledgeable enough to use software to convert his clients footage to XDCAM EX footage. Instead he'd like to take an analog signal from his clients equipment, run it into the EX3, and record the signal onto the SxS card so that he could easily capture it into his system.

I agree with Doug. I think you should learn how to convert the footage properly. If you're going from PC to Mac, there's a great thread on the Non-Linear Editing for Apple section of the forums. (it was a GREAT help to me these last couple of days)
I had not thought about using the Sony software to move the files and I really did not want to install new software on their computer. What has happened is that I have inherited a project from our media director at church that is in fact on a Mac in FCP and it is SD project. It is a church service and about an hour long that needs to be edited down to 28:15 for a TV program that airs this Sunday. I was just wondering if I could transfer the clips to my EX-3 and then ingest them quickly with out having to capture them real time. The FCP program and the Mac that they are using is an old one and really slow. When they are producing a preview DVD for the Pastor to approve it takes at least 6 hours to render the file.

I appreciate all the suggestions folks...... I copied the files to a pass port external hard drive and now have them on my computer and the edit and preview DVD is complete. My Editing program is GrassValley/Canopus 5.12.

I could not believe that every time anything was changed in FCP it had to be rendered again and that to be able to output to tape the SD timeline had to be rendered.
I know that their machine is outdated and is past due for an upgrade.

Thanks again

Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracinvideo.com
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you have a current version of quicktime installed on your PC, you can read those FCP files directly. Just copy it from their computer to yours.

[edit]

I see you've sorted it out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds