Lenses for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lenses for EX3

What Telephoto lenses are available for the EX3. I have a Nikon telezoom, but it's a pain to keep changing between that and the stock lens. To get even more reach I would need to go to the Nikon 600mm. Is there a long 1/2 or 2/3 lens that would suit wildlife, with a built in extender. I'm just looking at options.

Thanks
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Vortex Media

The Fujinon 18x5.5 with 2x extender is your best choice if you want to keep one lens on your camera all the time.
FUJIFILM USA FUJINON |
$17K

But even at full-zoom, with the extender, it won't get you any closer than a 200mm Nikon.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks..Doug...I just saw the price of that. The Nikon 600 suddenly isn't looking that bad.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Just be aware that you will need a rock solid tripod when using lenses over 300mm the slightest puff of wind will cause camera shake. I find it almost impossible to use my 500mm Nikkor lens take a look at the long lens shots on this video - I was using a sturdy tripod too.

Sony EX3 Nikon mount
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Just be aware that you will need a rock solid tripod when using lenses over 300mm the slightest puff of wind will cause camera shake. I find it almost impossible to use my 500mm Nikkor lens take a look at the long lens shots on this video - I was using a sturdy tripod too.

Sony EX3 Nikon mount
You are getting into fairly seriously big magnification though so a little wobble is excusable. What tripod head did you use? I've used a Canon 150-600 on the EX3 (briefly) and found it OK if not too windy on my O'Connor 2060 (but that is a 9kg head!).
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
You are getting into fairly seriously big magnification though so a little wobble is excusable.
Not really. Maybe "understandable", but not excusable. There is not a single 500mm shot in Vincent's demonstration that could be used for anything except breaking news.

Please don't take offense, Vincent, because I know you were just demonstrating the challenges of big lenses. I know you were not trying to present those shots as being pretty pictures. :-)

Vincent's demonstration is a perfect illustration of how too much of a good thing isn't so good. At some point you have to back off and admit you don't have the right tripod, the weather conditions are too windy, etc. and NOT shoot.

Wobble is understandable, but not excusable in a finished production unless it is a really important news event or something like that.

I use a 300mm Nikon with an Adaptimax on my EX3 and it is rock-solid with my O'Connor 1030B head -- even for smooth panning and tilting. But I have no desire to go with bigger lenes unless I want to lock the shot down and don't move the camera.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Not really. Maybe "understandable", but not excusable. .
Yes, you're right, much better choice of word.
Steve
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Trustee

The 500mm is an amazing lens, although I have never used it that much, even for still photography. Yes, I know my tripod is due for an upgrade and I will probably spend my profits in the next few weeks on a better one. I will publish a "more creative" and colour graded video in due course and illustrate what does work with each of the prime lenses.

btw. all the Nikkor lenses used were the old series. Optically they are superb and work a treat with both the Adaptimax and Mike Tapas lens adaptors. The best bit is that no-one wants the older manual lenses anymore so you can pick them up for a song. The 500mm reflex Nikkor cost me £200 (about $328).
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
The 500mm is an amazing lens, although I have never used it that much, even for still photography. Yes, I know my tripod is due for an upgrade and I will probably spend my profits in the next few weeks on a better one. I will publish a "more creative" and colour graded video in due course and illustrate what does work with each of the prime lenses.

btw. all the Nikkor lenses used were the old series. Optically they are superb and work a treat with both the Adaptimax and Mike Tapas lens adaptors. The best bit is that no-one wants the older manual lenses anymore so you can pick them up for a song. The 500mm reflex Nikkor cost me £200 (about $328).
Definitely true Vincent, and there are some real gems in there - 55 micro, 180 f2.8, 300 f2.8, 50-300 f4.5, 400 f3.5, 600 f5.6, all are cracking lenses and ridiculously cheap - seen 300 f2.8 at £300-400 before now and for optics and build quality they don't get much better than that.
Steve
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:

I use a 300mm Nikon with an Adaptimax on my EX3 and it is rock-solid with my O'Connor 1030B head -- even for smooth panning and tilting. But I have no desire to go with bigger lenes unless I want to lock the shot down and don't move the camera.
I love my 1030B too, and it's probably ideal for the smaller cameras, but there is no doubt (and no surprise I suppose) that the 2060 is far more stable with bigger rigs, I notice it immediately.
Steve
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Trustee

I have had my collection of Nikkor lenses (16 in all) for a number of years. I was tempted to part exchange the lot a few years back, but was offered such a poor price for them. Needless to say I turned it down and they have just sat in my office doing nothing, until I purchased the EX3. Now I have a great collection that have a second life.

Shown here is the 200mm f4 Nikkor lens with a haggard looking owner
Attached Thumbnails
Lenses for EX3-vo.jpg  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Vortex Media

Vincent, that 200mm f/4 looks a lot lighter than my 80-200 f/2.8
Being a prime, it's probably sharper, too.
I'm going to have to find one of those. Nice.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Vincent, that 200mm f/4 looks a lot lighter than my 80-200 f/2.8
Being a prime, it's probably sharper, too.
I'm going to have to find one of those. Nice.
I'd go for a 180mm f2.8, it's beyond amazing optically!
Steve
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Trustee

Doug,

I also have the same 80 - 200mm 2.8 Nikkor, and yes the 200mm f4 lens is a lot lighter, and sharper. Call me old fashioned or what, but the older series of Nikon lenses were built like tanks - they probably used the same metals too.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Inner Circle

As well as a decent tripod you also need to do something about the small tripod mount. A DM reinforcing plate or similar is essential along with support rails for the lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds