DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 not in stock (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/435750-ex1-not-stock.html)

Craig Terott September 24th, 2009 07:53 PM

EX1 not in stock

Just curious if anyone knows the logic behind B&H not stocking the EX1.

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 09:24 AM

Is that happening anywhere else? It actually says "Accepting orders"
Could be they can't take shipments because of the string of Jewish Holidays if the stock issue is specific to them.
Could be a revised model in the works otherwise but the speculation is pointless unless you see this throughout the supply chain.
AbelCine seems to have it in stock.

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 11:09 AM

Last thoughts on this. If Sony had a revised model we would have heard reports from IBC and DV Expo at this point. It's probably B&H not taking shipments due to the Jewish holidays.

Craig Terott September 25th, 2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1397033)
Last thoughts on this. If Sony had a revised model we would have heard reports from IBC and DV Expo at this point. It's probably B&H not taking shipments due to the Jewish holidays.

But interestingly, the EX3 is in stock.

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 03:52 PM

Not at all odd since one camera sold out and the other hasn't. They probably sell more EX1s than EX3s at B&H and there are so many Jewish holidays back to back at this time of year. I live not too far from B&H and their warehouse is even closer. They will not move things from the warehouse to the store on the holidays. They will even list things as in stock because they are in the warehouse yet are not actually available in the store.

Since AbelCine and B&H are not too far apart and Abel has them in stock, the channel isn't "dry." B&H probably has them sitting on the loading dock, hence "accepting orders," otherwise it would be "out of stock."

Craig Terott September 25th, 2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1397933)
Not at all odd since one camera sold out and the other hasn't. They probably sell more EX1s than EX3s at B&H and there are so many Jewish holidays back to back at this time of year. I live not too far from B&H and their warehouse is even closer. They will not move things from the warehouse to the store on the holidays. They will even list things as in stock because they are in the warehouse yet are not actually available in the store.

Since AbelCine and B&H are not too far apart and Abel has them in stock, the channel isn't "dry." B&H probably has them sitting on the loading dock, hence "accepting orders," otherwise it would be "out of stock."

Makes sense. The only reason I bring it up is because that 7-10 lead-time is very scary to me. In fact, 7-10 days is just like not having it in stock for me. If one of my cams ever goes down, chances are good I'll need a replacement in one day.

I had never even heard of that AbelCine until today. I feel dumb. Thanks Craig. Nice to know they are there if I'm in a jam, and it looks like similar pricing. You learn something every day I guess.

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 04:18 PM

There's another Sony authorized dealer (also authorized Sony service center) in NYC that's not a DVInfo sponsor that will actually give you a loaner EX1 if your camera has to go in for repair. I can't mention the name here although they are a "mom & pop" business that I like to support. That kind of loaner promise (it costs NOTHING EXTRA) is something the big stores wouldn't even consider offering.

Andy Shipsides September 25th, 2009 08:32 PM

Hey Craig

I'm sorry to hear that you've never heard of us. AbelCineTech is a unique place in NYC that caters exclusively to the professional video / film crowd. I'd hope that you would come to us not only in a pinch, but also when you want to speak to a group of people that pride themselves at being experts in this field. Please check out our website and blog at Abel Cine Tech and note that we sell the EX for the same price as anyone. Sony has a program price, so no one can sell it for lower than the listed price.

Best,

Andy

Stephen Mick September 25th, 2009 08:39 PM

+1 for Abel

I've dealt with Abel before, and Andy and the crew are top-notch. First rate service, competitive pricing and years of experience. No worries if you order from Abel.

--SM

Kevin Lee Yuen September 25th, 2009 08:47 PM

They had 6 in stock last week...sold out in 4 days. I was going to buy one but didn't get the funds in time.

Brian Mills September 25th, 2009 09:04 PM

I too bought my EX from Abel Cine - great store and very helpful!

Craig Seeman September 25th, 2009 10:41 PM

From the "other" Craig. While I didn't get my EX from Abel, I did buy a whole bunch of ancillary gear there. Great place, great service.

Boyd Ostroff September 26th, 2009 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Terott (Post 1394401)
Just curious if anyone knows the logic behind B&H not stocking the EX1.

If you check B&H's website regularly you will see the EX1 drops in and out of stock regularly. There's another thread I started on this somewhere when I was shopping myself. It's one of B&H's top selling items and they sell out regularly.

The language about special order and 7-10 days wait is just boilerplate which seems to appear when any item is out of stock. I went up to to B&H in person, and before I left their site showed the EX-1 in stock. When I arrived a couple hours later, they were sold out. So I placed an order and it was shipped out within about a week.

Craig Terott September 27th, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1398738)
Hey Craig

I'm sorry to hear that you've never heard of us. AbelCineTech is a unique place in NYC that caters exclusively to the professional video / film crowd. I'd hope that you would come to us not only in a pinch, but also when you want to speak to a group of people that pride themselves at being experts in this field. Please check out our website and blog at Abel Cine Tech and note that we sell the EX for the same price as anyone. Sony has a program price, so no one can sell it for lower than the listed price.

Best,

Andy

Very positive feedback. I bookmarked your site.

Craig Terott September 27th, 2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1400355)
If you check B&H's website regularly you will see the EX1 drops in and out of stock regularly. There's another thread I started on this somewhere when I was shopping myself. It's one of B&H's top selling items and they sell out regularly.

The language about special order and 7-10 days wait is just boilerplate which seems to appear when any item is out of stock. I went up to to B&H in person, and before I left their site showed the EX-1 in stock. When I arrived a couple hours later, they were sold out. So I placed an order and it was shipped out within about a week.

At the risk of sounding negative, I still have to wonder why a photo/video Goliath fails to keep enough EX1s in stock. Number one rule of inventory management: The more of something you sell, the more of it you keep in stock.