Transcend Cards, MLC vs SLC/ 2 different class 6 cards - Page 4 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #46
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
With all the problems I've been reading here about Sandisks and Transcends, I wonder - Has anyone had a problem with Hoodman cards yet?
I haven't seen any posts that mention it. Perhaps that's because fewer are out there, or maybe they were right and they are worth the extra $50. A small price to pay for security - if its true.
It may be a numbers game but I'd be happy to purchase some to give them a try. My faith in the Transcend solution has been blown out the water because if you buy a card it is a lottery whereas before the Summer you could be pretty certain that you'd have a card that would be reliable.

As soon as Hoodman announce a UK supplier, I'll be buying one or two to try (providing the costs aren't silly). I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Likewise with the ATP cards we need to get others to try them in order to see if the performance is consistent. I've just ordered another one but I might have to wait for it because Amazon UK have no stock.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #47
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,777
I'm always looking at the 32GB "picture" because I don't like changing cards during long shoots. On the other hand 16GB is good if client wants to walk with the "master."

One problem for me is that Hoodman does not have 32GB card. Hoodman 16GB are nearly as expensive as other 32GB cards so it's not quite as easy to bill the client for stock if they want to walk with it.

The odd thing about ATP is the price relationship between 16GB and 32GB. It seems in most cases 32GB is more than twice as expensive as 16GB. ATP 16GB cards though seem to be about 2/3 the price of their 32GB cards. In other words the cost per GB is generally cheaper for 16GB than 32GB but ATP is the opposite.

Transcend 16GB were so inexpensive they wouldn't be a hardship to bill the client for the master.

I'd thought I'd note the above since it does play into my thinking.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #48
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'm always looking at the 32GB "picture" because I don't like changing cards during long shoots. On the other hand 16GB is good if client wants to walk with the "master."

One problem for me is that Hoodman does not have 32GB card. Hoodman 16GB are nearly as expensive as other 32GB cards so it's not quite as easy to bill the client for stock if they want to walk with it.
The flip side of course is that a single 32GB card means that all your eggs are in one basket.

And the Hoodman cards are still a bargain compared to SxS.

Personally I'd be inclined to dub off the higher end SD card to my laptop HD and copy the lot back onto a cheaper card. A little time consuming but cheap media should be a none issue for that use. The problems come with the writing at the time of recording, not the reading. So using a Transcend or even cheaper card for a dub shouldn't matter.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #49
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
With all the problems I've been reading here about Sandisks and Transcends, I wonder - Has anyone had a problem with Hoodman cards yet?
I haven't seen any posts that mention it. Perhaps that's because fewer are out there, or maybe they were right and they are worth the extra $50. A small price to pay for security - if its true.
I hate to say it because I was sent a card to look at for Hoodman and it checked out fine when I tested it.

Last month I set my EX-1 to record non-stop with a 16gb Hoodman card and got a "media error" message ater 15 minutes.

I was recording 720p60 HQ.

I use Nanoflashes now as I do not trust any non-native internal recording method with these cameras. I think Sony purposefully put some barbs in the process to keep people trusting SxS.

I know a lot of folks seem to not have issues, but it does not take many instances of the camera locking up during recording for me to swear off of a method.

Last edited by Tim Polster; September 30th, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #50
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
If I get any problems with the ATP cards I'll post again, but I'm certainly looking at ordering more on the basis of two test runs in the office and a real life run today.
Thats good news Marcus, looks promising.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
...I wonder - Has anyone had a problem with Hoodman cards yet?
I was wondering about that too Leonard.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #51
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I hate to say it because I was sent a card to look at for Hoodman and ut checked out fine when I tested it.

Last month I set my EX-1 to record non-stop with a 16gb Hoodman card and got a "media error" message ater 15 minutes.

I was recording 720p60 HQ.

I use Nanoflashes now as I do not trust any non-native internal recording method with these cameras. I think Sony purposefully put some barbs in the process to keep people trusting SxS.
I don't buy that because by definition that would nobble their own hard disk recorder which also operates via the USB bus.

What did Hoodman have to say? As it is a premium card and they offer support they should be looking at it and analysing what went wrong.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #52
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
As soon as Hoodman announce a UK supplier, I'll be buying one or two to try (providing the costs aren't silly). I'm sure I won't be the only one.
I was told they will be in the UK early next week at a cost of 79 for a 16gb card and 40 for the reader.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #53
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
I don't buy that because by definition that would nobble their own hard disk recorder which also operates via the USB bus.

What did Hoodman have to say? As it is a premium card and they offer support they should be looking at it and analysing what went wrong.
I don't think this is a Hoodman card issue. I think this is a 'not intended recording method' issue from the camera.

I have not called Hoodman as I gave up on the MxR route.

These cards do not come as EX series certified. They are just memory cards.

All of the MxR'ers are out in no man's land recording with a non-sanctioned method. Sony is not going to offer support so it is a risk to use any brand of card imho.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #54
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 1,271
Marcus, I'm presuming that you're using the promax 1.
ATP promax 2 is SLC, but only goes up to 8gb.

Paul.
__________________
Round 2
Panasonic HC-X1, Vinten PB, Sennheiser G3 bits. Vegas pro 14 on i7,AMD Radeon RX480 8GB.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #55
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I don't think this is a Hoodman card issue. I think this is a 'not intended recording method' issue from the camera.

I have not called Hoodman as I gave up on the MxR route.

These cards do not come as EX series certified. They are just memory cards.

All of the MxR'ers are out in no man's land recording with a non-sanctioned method. Sony is not going to offer support so it is a risk to use any brand of card imho.
It's all very well saying that but perhaps what would have been better was to send the card to Hoodman for analysis. They would have been able to clarify if the card was at fault or not, or even the adaptor. Anything else is speculation.

Sony will never make SDHC solutions certified. SxS is a big fat cash cow that they want to milk because people like me aren't spending 7.50 per 40 minutes of DVCAM.

Perhaps SDHC is at fault. But what about the people who have been happily shooting for months with no problems? My theory is that perhaps some of these cards aren't able to write consistently fast enough across the entire card to keep up. The EX1 has no cache so when the camera hits a slow spot on the card that is where the problem occurs.

SxS is fast enough not to need a cache so there is a design aspect in the EX1 in that respect.

So that might be the problem, simply that the EX1 has no cache and that some of these consumer grade cards have varying write speeds. The HD unit won't suffer this problem because it should be more consistent. SDHC is fast but perhaps some of these cards aren't consistent?

Only a theory and a crackpot one at that.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #56
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Marcus, I'm presuming that you're using the promax 1.
ATP promax 2 is SLC, but only goes up to 8gb.

Paul.
Presumably. They are 16GB cards but don't say if they are 1 or 2.

I guess they are 1 as "Jaws" wasn't called "Jaws 1" (if you see what I mean).
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #57
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 1,271
ATP promax 2 has 2 written on the card.

ATP ELECTRONICS, INC.

Paul.
__________________
Round 2
Panasonic HC-X1, Vinten PB, Sennheiser G3 bits. Vegas pro 14 on i7,AMD Radeon RX480 8GB.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #58
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
So that might be the problem, simply that the EX1 has no cache and that some of these consumer grade cards have varying write speeds. The HD unit won't suffer this problem because it should be more consistent. SDHC is fast but perhaps some of these cards aren't consistent?

Only a theory and a crackpot one at that.

I don't think it is crackpot, that is why I spent up for the Nanoflash.

It was a better investment than a lot of SxS in my book.

You are correct about sending the card to Hoodman, but I have a lot of more important stuff going on right now. I just wanted to share my experience.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:16 AM   #59
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
ATP promax 2 has 2 written on the card.
Paul.
Wonder what card reader would you use with these cards for the EX1/3
Would the Kensington be suitable?
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM   #60
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Wonder what card reader would you use with these cards for the EX1/3
Would the Kensington be suitable?
You are probably better off with the MXR cards as these cards are designed specifically for the EX1/3. I'm sure the Kensington cards work but I personally wouldn't use them.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network