DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Fair Market Value for an EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/446430-fair-market-value-ex1.html)

Mike Boulos September 27th, 2009 03:04 PM

Fair Market Value for an EX1

Hey guys, I was wondering what a used EX1 in it original box and accessories would fetch for? I have one and want to post it in the classifieds once I figure what a reasonable price would be for a camera with about 90 hours. Thanks.

Noah Kadner September 27th, 2009 04:29 PM

At least 15% than the lowest authorized dealer price you can find on Google.

Noah

Max Allen September 29th, 2009 08:55 AM

All authorized dealers, if they are really authorized, will have the same price. The price is fixed from Sony and if you break it you will be in very hot water with Sony.

Paul Cascio September 29th, 2009 09:44 AM

Ebay prices represents a fair picture of a large, and open marketplace.

Giroud Francois September 29th, 2009 10:19 AM

The "Hot" factor for this camera is a bit weak these days since the DSLR wave, but the camera still a strong value. Depends the accessories (cards, batteries since expensive ones). B&H prices are good start since they are usually the lowest honest deal.

Max Allen September 29th, 2009 11:03 AM

BH used to be the lowest deal long ago. Sometimes I see much higher prices from them vs. other reputable dealers. I used to not worry about price with BH but now I check every price.

Henry Posner October 1st, 2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Allen (Post 1413393)
All authorized dealers, if they are really authorized, will have the same price. The price is fixed from Sony and if you break it you will be in very hot water with Sony.

True. The Sony Unified Resale Execution (SURE) program went into effect June 2008. At Sony Adds New Premium-Goods Sales Policy - 2008-05-05 06:00:00 | TWICE there's an article describing the program from Twice magazine. In a nutshell, the MAP (Min Advertised Price) is now also the min selling price for many of their products. They enforce the program vigorously.

Brian Luce October 4th, 2009 04:20 PM

I'd go at 15% below B-stock which i think is about $5800.

Bob Grant October 4th, 2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Posner (Post 1422152)
True. The Sony Unified Resale Execution (SURE) program went into effect June 2008. At Sony Adds New Premium-Goods Sales Policy - 2008-05-05 06:00:00 | TWICE there's an article describing the program from Twice magazine. In a nutshell, the MAP (Min Advertised Price) is now also the min selling price for many of their products. They enforce the program vigorously.

That policy seems to be in breach of the Australian Trade Practices Act. Resale price maintenance is specifically prohibited. Reading the summary of the act Section 96 would seem specifically written to cover exactly what Sony is doing.

Quote:

A supplier may recommend a resale price for goods or resupply price for services, provided
that the document setting out the suggested price makes it clear that it is a recommended
price only and that the supplier takes no action to influence the reseller not to sell or
resupply below that price (s. 97).
It's quite possible that Sony's policy does not apply down here. It would explain why recently the local best price after a bit of arm twisting is lower than the grey import price from the USA. Second hand (ex rental) EX1s are going for 60% of list down here and that was from a Sony Authorised reseller. Maybe the trade in grey imports is going to start flowing the other way over the Pacific.

Tom Roper October 6th, 2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Posner (Post 1422152)

Price fixing was always a criminal offense under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. In August of 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that vertical price fixing by a manufacturer and its retailers, also known as retail price maintenance, is not a per se violation.

Colluding on price amongst competitors, also known as horizontal price fixing, is viewed as a per se violation of the Sherman Act regardless of the market impact or alleged efficiency of the action.

So if retailers colluded to fix prices, that would be a horizontal violation, but by having Sony enforcing retail price maintenance, it removes the collusion amongst competitors. I personally feel this is wrong, and it would have been illegal for the 218 years before August 2008.