Best Slo-Mo for 1920 Project?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Maybe I'll suggest to the BBC that they get rid of their Varicams for their Planet Earth style projects and de-interlace a 60i camera instead! Get the feeling I know what the response will be.
Steve
Now that you mentioned Planet Earth BD, this is a excellent example of all of a sudden pictures goes to crap, I have Planet Earth Blu-ray, 95% of the time the picture quality is excellent, but when there is a scene of the crocodile jump out of the water and catch his prey, the picture all goes to crap, it was super slomo scenes, I don't know what happen there but it looks like you are watching HD then all of a suddent it goes to DVD quality, I think they had to overcrank and combination of extender for closeup make it worse, people have different taste, I would prefer the same picture quality with less closeup and not as good slomo, just my opinion.
__________________
Khoi Pham
www.proeditproductions.com
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Now that you mentioned Planet Earth BD, this is a excellent example of all of a sudden pictures goes to crap, I have Planet Earth Blu-ray, 95% of the time the picture quality is excellent, but when there is a scene of the crocodile jump out of the water and catch his prey, the picture all goes to crap, it was super slomo scenes, I don't know what happen there but it looks like you are watching HD then all of a suddent it goes to DVD quality, I think they had to overcrank and combination of extender for closeup make it worse, people have different taste, I would prefer the same picture quality with less closeup and not as good slomo, just my opinion.
The super slomo stuff was with a Photron, and it's the nicest of cameras and not really HD, that's why the pictures looked crappy. The shots either side of it would most likely be Varicam, a 720 camera, which you seem to be saying looked OK.
And all the latest blockbusters from the NHU are also largely Varicam, no 60i slomo in post in evidence.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coronado Island
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
The super slomo stuff was with a Photron, and it's the nicest of cameras and not really HD, that's why the pictures looked crappy. The shots either side of it would most likely be Varicam, a 720 camera, which you seem to be saying looked OK.
And all the latest blockbusters from the NHU are also largely Varicam, no 60i slomo in post in evidence.
Steve
Steve
Your point about 720 is well taken. I would have no hesitation in using 720 overcrank in a 720 project. As I mentioned earlier, that would be one solution for me.
The problem I have is uprezzing the 720 overcrank to 1080 in a 1080 project. That's when it appears soft on BD.
__________________
Bob
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
The problem I have is uprezzing the 720 overcrank to 1080 in a 1080 project. That's when it appears soft on BD.
Again, I'd just point you towards Planet Earth on BluRay, it's largely 720 Varicam and looks sort of OK to me.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Again, I'd just point you towards Planet Earth on BluRay, it's largely 720 Varicam and looks sort of OK to me.
Steve
They look great because they were consistent until they have to use a different camera, but then there are a few scenes that are just jaws droping, those might be shot with the Sony 750, the workhorse was the varicam you are right, no ones is arguing that 60i has better slomo that 60P, it just that I preferred consistent picture quality than less quality with better slomo.
__________________
Khoi Pham
www.proeditproductions.com
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #21
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
there are a few scenes that are just jaws droping, those might be shot with the Sony 750, .
Don't get much more jaw-dropping than the snow leopard attack, and that was Varicam.
If there was an issue here there is no way these multi-million projects would have an still are shooting with 720 Varicam.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network