UK EX-1 Mic cable solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UK EX-1 Mic cable solution

My off-the-peg, short, right-angled, camcorder-mic cable has never worked well on my EX-1. The slightly excess cable snags the swiveling grip and the straight, male (camera-end) connector sticks out so much that it catches on my (very wide-mouthed) camera bag every time I retrieve/replace it. I have to nurse it in and out. This I can live with.

Recently I tried gathering the excess cable to the handle but this led to unacceptable handling noise transfer - spoiling some rushes. This I can't live with, so I researched DVinfo and found this Cadence Cable Systems - Pro Audio Cables

Since they're relatively local to me I called them, visited today (with my EX1) and had a custom cable made on-the-spot. We tried various combinations of cable length, connector angle etc. until we found the perfect solution.

Amazingly it was about the same price as the off-the-shelf cable although it was much better quality - thicker cable, better connectors & quality-tested. I wish I had done this a long time ago. Anyway, having blazed the trail on behalf of you UK EX-1 users, you won't have to visit them. Just call Justin & mention your camera.

In case you're wondering, I only need one cable but I bought a second as a back-up and it's pictured to show that it works with two should you need them.

P.S. I have no affiliations whatsoever with Cadence Cables and I don't know of a site-sponsored competitive alternative. It's a purely philanthropic thang. Here're some snaps...
Attached Thumbnails
UK EX-1 Mic cable solution-dsc09505.jpg   UK EX-1 Mic cable solution-dsc09507.jpg  

UK EX-1 Mic cable solution-dsc09511.jpg   UK EX-1 Mic cable solution-dsc09514.jpg  

Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul, how much was your cable?

Thanks
Steve
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cadence's EX1 mic cable costs £17.50 including vat and first class recorded delivery.
Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How are you getting on with the dedo light? (with its £45 power cable....)
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Stuart,

At the risk of going off-topic... I'm very pleased with the Dedo light. I don't like on-camera lights - especially on small cameras like the EX-1 but, this one is, currently, the best I've seen. It's a good "catch-light" or, if you don't have time to set up lights, it'll give your subject a little lift - in an emergency.

It runs off the camcorder battery without making too much of a dent in the run-time. An on-camera light without the drawbacks of an on-camera light - in my opinion. I leave it attached and forget about it. It's light-enough to not upset the camera balance too much. It's small enough to stay in place in my camera bag.

There are brighter lights out there. There are cheaper lights out there but, for what I need, this is the best. With the pace of change in LED technology there's bound to be something better soon but, for now, this will do nicely.

Hope this helps
Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds