DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Cicrular Polarizer for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465137-cicrular-polarizer-ex1.html)

Steve Kalle October 5th, 2009 10:05 PM

Cicrular Polarizer for EX1

Can I use just about any 77mm circular polarizer on the EX1?

Tiffen | 77mm Digital HT (High Transmission) Circular | 77HTCP

or

Sony | 77mm Circular Polarizer | VF-77CPAM | B&H Photo Video

or

Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizing HD (High Density) | XHD77CRPL

Thanks

Nick Wilson October 6th, 2009 07:34 PM

Any 77mm circular polariser should work. However, because of their two-part construction (the static and rotating bit) most will not fit under the standard lens hood. Although even if you found one which did, it would be tricky to turn it with the hood attached.

Steve Nelson October 6th, 2009 08:04 PM

The Slim versions from B+W work just fine. This is the one I have and it fits under the hood no problem:

B+W | 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter (Slim) | 65-016930

Dave Morrison October 6th, 2009 08:41 PM

I'm using the slim version as well. However, it IS hard to get your fingers in there to turn it....or at least I have a problem with MY big, fat fingers. I usually get fingerprints on it when I try this, so I try to turn it to the amount of effect I want and THEN put the hood back on.

Paul Cronin October 8th, 2009 06:40 AM

Same here I would recommend the B+W for the quality and fitting under the hood. I keep a lens cleaning kit in my pocket all the time when shooting. This allows me grab a cloth when I have to move the filter and avoid having to stop the shoot to clean the filter.

Marcus Durham October 8th, 2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 1428855)
I'm using the slim version as well. However, it IS hard to get your fingers in there to turn it....or at least I have a problem with MY big, fat fingers. I usually get fingerprints on it when I try this, so I try to turn it to the amount of effect I want and THEN put the hood back on.

Go to an art shop and buy a good quality small rubber. Slip it into your camera bag and you can use it to nudge the polariser round without having to take the hood off or scratching the glass/leaving marks. Works a treat for my Z1 but am yet to test the technique on my EX1.

Doug Jensen October 8th, 2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Durham (Post 1429437)
Go to an art shop and buy a good quality small rubber.

In the USA we would call that an "eraser". You might get arrested if you used a rubber over here that way :-)

Ronn Kilby October 8th, 2009 10:25 AM

Marcus: What Doug's referring to is a "raincoat" or "Jimmy Cap."

Marcus Durham October 8th, 2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1429484)
In the USA we would call that an "eraser". You might get arrested if you used a rubber over here that way :-)

Ah sorry, I forgot the double meaning!

Although that type of rubber is great for waterproofing mics. Once worked on a radio broadcast where we had the presenter in a hot tub and we had to "protect" the mic.

Dave Morrison October 8th, 2009 02:22 PM

Yeah Marcus....what are you implying? ;-) I happen to buy the LARGE rubbers....er, erasers.

Steve Kalle October 8th, 2009 11:40 PM

Thanks guys.

Does someone have rubber envy?

Andy Wilkinson October 11th, 2009 06:04 AM

B+W Slim Rotating Polarizing Filter for EX3

Just got the 77mm B+W Slim Rotating Polarizing filter mentioned by Steve Nelson above. It was about 58 quid here in the UK including postage from an Amazon marketplace trader - I got the last one he had in stock at this time. I've a big corporate architecture type job coming up to be shot in a building with glass partition screens everywhere - so I think it'll come in handy. It fits just fine on my EX3 under the standard hood. However, I think using an eraser/rubber to rotate it is still not as easy as just taking the hood off, rotating it to where you need it and putting the hood back on.

Also, for the record, I have a B+W UV filter more or less permamantly on the front of my EX3 stock lense to protect it (again, note that it has to be their 'Slim' version to fit inder the hood). About the only time that will ever come off is to fit this polariser. One must always use protection!

Jonathan Morrow October 11th, 2009 02:22 PM

Just make sure you check you aren't "over-exposed" once you have adjusted your filter...

Les Wilson December 4th, 2010 10:40 AM

The link at the start of this thread points to a B+W filter that says "slim design" in the marketing text. Here:
B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Filter 65-016930 B&H Photo Video

However, there are also Multi-Resistant Coat B+W filters that have Slim in the name and are more expensive. Here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/133003-REG/B_W_66026598.html
Anyone know if the MRC versions also work on the EX? Is the MRC worth it?

Giroud Francois December 4th, 2010 11:27 AM

probably the Ex1 sunshade is not so different than the Ex1 one.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...tml#post643759