How many hours on your EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

How many hours on your EX1?

One of my EX1s (bought in July '08) has 410 hours on it now - so far so good, no issues.

But I thought it would be interesting to survey the group and get some user feedback.

How many hours on your EX1? What kind of mileage do YOU think we can expect to get out of these cams (under average shooting conditions)? I sometimes wonder if my confidence to get up to 2K without a problem is realistic.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

How do you find out how many hours?
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
One of my EX1s (bought in July '08) has 410 hours on it now - so far so good, no issues.

But I thought it would be interesting to survey the group and get some user feedback.

How many hours on your EX1? What kind of mileage do YOU think we can expect to get out of these cams (under average shooting conditions)? I sometimes wonder if my confidence to get up to 2K without a problem is realistic.
Why 2k? Do you treat your cameras badly? It's not like tape where the heads had a finite life.

A colleague and I once found a pair of PD170's that had clocked up 18,000 hours + each. A large company had set up a mini TV studio in a room, locked it up and had forgotten about it. The cameras had been left on. When we looked at the hours reading we couldn't believe it. What made it even funnier was that drum run was something like 5 hours!

One of the 170's was fine, the other had developed a fault on the red channel.

OK so these cameras were static but my point is that the EX1 doesn't have any tape mechanism so should be reliable for a good long time.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; October 6th, 2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Why 2k? Do you treat your cameras badly? It's not like tape where the heads had a finite life.

OK so these cameras were static but my point is that the EX1 doesn't have any tape mechanism so should be reliable for a good long time.
Every complex electro-mechanical device has a weak link. There are many components/mechanisms in the EX1 that have a finite life. Granted, we expect it farther down the road than a tape head. But still, wouldn't it be nice to know what to expect will fail first and a rough approximation of when? At some point there will be enough cameras out there with enough mileage on them to glean some information that may make failures relatively predictable.

Probably, Sony knows what component is most likely to fail first under average shooting conditions.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
Every complex electro-mechanical device has a weak link. There are many components/mechanisms in the EX1 that have a finite life. Granted, we expect it farther down the road than a tape head. But still, wouldn't it be nice to know what to expect will fail first and a rough approximation of when? At some point there will be enough cameras out there with enough mileage on them to glean some information that may make failures relatively predictable.

Probably, Sony knows what component is most likely to fail first under average shooting conditions.
It would be nice to know when any piece of electrical equipment might fail, but alas it is impossible. Each camera is in a unique situation. Operating a camera in a controlled environment like those 170's I mentioned is quite different from taking a camera into a jungle. Handling, humidity, usage patterns will all play a part. Do you use the flip out LCD all the time, do you constantly plug in headphones? The LCD hinge might fail or the headphone socket could break.

There's 101 things that could fail but the biggest one has been taken out of the equation as we've waved goodbye to all those different Sony tape fault codes.

In the coming years things will crop up and we'll see a pattern but 2000 hours should be nothing for a solid state camera. Now a Z1 with 2000 hours on the drum would be a worry!
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
It would be nice to know when any piece of electrical equipment might fail, but alas it is impossible.
If you had the chance to re-write your response would you use the word "impossible"? lol I'm just relieved you're not managing the scheduled maintenance division for my favorite airline. :p
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds