What does shutter "Auto" means ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

What does shutter "Auto" mean ?

Hi all,

My EX3 is broken. First it was the focusing ring of the stock lens that I was not too worried about as I don't often use the stock lens. Then I got this message regarding slot A which is not being recognized.
Took it to the lab which qouted me 3000$ (no extra zero....)-: )

I can still use the camera but the shutter is stuck on either "off" or "Auto".
I know "off" is 1/25 sec when shooting 25p which is too slow for me but I have no idea what is the actual speed on "auto" - any idea anyone?

Thanks,

Ofer
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com.au

Last edited by Ofer Levy; October 6th, 2009 at 06:11 AM.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Auto shutter means that the camera has control of the shutter as one of the variables for auto exposure, either because you have selected Full Auto or because auto shutter is selected in Menu>Camera Set>TLCS

As far as I can establish, TLCS in dim conditions opens the iris fully and increases gain to the AGC limit. As light levels increase, gain drops to 0dB, then the iris closes to the A. SHT Point. All this is with the shutter behaving as it does when the switch is set to Off. As light levels continue to increase, the camera increases shutter speed to the A. SHT Limit. AGC and Auto Shutter can be enabled or disabled independently.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Nick!
Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds