DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Buying an EX1 overseas - any issues you can think of? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465365-buying-ex1-overseas-any-issues-you-can-think.html)

Damian Heffernan October 9th, 2009 05:16 AM

Buying an EX1 overseas - any issues you can think of?

I'm about to buy an EX1 while travelling overseas. Even with the tax I'll pay bringing it back in to the country I will save $2000 on the lowest price I found here.

Are there any issues you can suggest with this plan? I know that it's probably not an international warranty from Sony but if there's a warranty issue (which seems rare) I can always send it back over there for a friend to action the warranty repair.

Otherwise it should have the latest firmware right? And all the buttons and menus are in english (english option at least). I can't see any dis-incentive at the moment.

Dean Sensui October 9th, 2009 04:05 PM

"Overseas" means America? :-)

David C. Williams October 9th, 2009 04:13 PM

Sony Australia offer a 2 year warranty on it's pro cameras. Worth thinking about seriously if you plan to use it for your livelihood.

Phill Pendleton October 9th, 2009 07:23 PM

Hi Damian
I've bought goods OS before and have found it much cheaper too. In fact a friend who runs a hire equipment place also does the same. He claims that Sony's warranty is world wide and no matter where you buy a camera, your local agent has to honor that warranty. Might be worth calling Sony to verify that info 'first hand'.
Would also be worth giving Customs a call and finding out what duties are payable. I just bought a DV Rig (great shoulder mount) and was up for 10% Gst on import, was still a few hundred bucks cheaper than buying locally. Don't try and sneek it in, the fines are more than the actual camera.
Cheers
Phill Pendleton

Damian Heffernan October 9th, 2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1430140)
"Overseas" means America? :-)

nice pickup,sorry: OS means Japan

Damian Heffernan October 9th, 2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1430144)
Sony Australia offer a 2 year warranty on it's pro cameras. Worth thinking about seriously if you plan to use it for your livelihood.

even if it's not a worldwide warranty though I can always send it back OS for warranty repair or even get it repaired locally. $9000 versus $7100 landed means I've got a long way to go spending on repairs before I even get near the Aussie retail price!

Damian Heffernan October 9th, 2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill Pendleton (Post 1430184)
Hi Damian
I've bought goods OS before and have found it much cheaper too. In fact a friend who runs a hire equipment place also does the same. He claims that Sony's warranty is world wide and no matter where you buy a camera, your local agent has to honor that warranty. Might be worth calling Sony to verify that info 'first hand'.
Would also be worth giving Customs a call and finding out what duties are payable. I just bought a DV Rig (great shoulder mount) and was up for 10% Gst on import, was still a few hundred bucks cheaper than buying locally. Don't try and sneek it in, the fines are more than the actual camera.
Cheers
Phill Pendleton

I saw no way around paying the GST when bringing it back in so I just sucked it up and factored that into any purchase :(. Even so with 10% added it's $2K cheaper in Japan.

Bob Grant October 10th, 2009 07:35 AM

Just be aware that the Region50 cameras are not exactly identical to the Region60 cameras. They each reset to the default HQ mode, 50i for the Region50 cameras and 60i for the Region60 cameras. Also after reset the Region60 cameras set Flicker Reduction to Off and the Region50 to Auto.

Neither of these are show stoppers or worth $2K.

Mal Hamilton October 10th, 2009 07:39 AM

You should be asking your accountant about depreciation etc for your company to purchase and you will find it is more attractive to buy in Australia, particularly with the current Government incentives for small business. (note: purchases have to be made in Australia).

Customs will likely charge a duty as well as GST as there is no 'free trade' between Japan and Australia, even if you purchased from the USA, the camera would still attract a duty as the country of the camera's origin is still Japan.

David Issko October 10th, 2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan (Post 1430243)
I saw no way around paying the GST when bringing it back in

Correct! That rule applies to pretty much anything (GST applicable) worth AUD$1,000.00+. Now if you are registered for GST, claim it back on your next BAS. Easy!

Damian Heffernan October 10th, 2009 06:22 PM

Tahnks for the info guys. One issue with GST locally is it still comes in too expensive. Claiming the GST from OS is still possible so I will get it back next BAS.

As far as I know though (and from previous imports) there's no duty on Video Cameras, only GST.

Christian Filippone October 14th, 2009 11:03 AM

I bought my EX1 about 6 months ago from Bhphoto in NY (saved about $2500) & didn't realise I had to pay the local tax 8% which works out to be about 10% Aussie Gst anyway. I put it in my Katta backpack minus the receipts manuals etc... & got it through customs no problems.

I just shot a wedding in Thailand & on the way back through customs I got stopped & threatened to have to pay 10%Gst of the value of all my equipment (all up about $15.000 worth including including the EX1, Letus, etc.. ouch!) + fined lots of $$$ for my equipment that I had bought months earlier before leaving the country.
I didn't realise that you needed to register the serial numbers of the equipment with customs before leaving the country otherwise you get fined. I got let off with a warning & told if it happens again that I will get fined 100%.

I definately don't recommend you to try & sneak it in to the country or you might end up in the next episode of Customs Australia

If you do decide to go & buy it in Japan I got a feeling you will probably have to pay their local tax + Gst on the way back in to Australia
I would suggest ordering online through BH to save on having to pay local tax but from what they told me while in BH is that the dont ship XDCAM cameras internationally anymore. :(

Hopefully Japan don't charge tax & you only have pay Gst coming back in to the country.

David Chia October 15th, 2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan (Post 1430242)
even if it's not a worldwide warranty though I can always send it back OS for warranty repair or even get it repaired locally. $9000 versus $7100 landed means I've got a long way to go spending on repairs before I even get near the Aussie retail price!

wait till you see how the treat your box during shipping...

David Chia October 15th, 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill Pendleton (Post 1430184)
He claims that Sony's warranty is world wide and no matter where you buy a camera, your local agent has to honor that warranty. Might be worth calling Sony to verify that info 'first hand'.

that is not true, sony warranty is not world wide...