Possible SxS Card Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Possible SxS Card Failure - Or Not

Just got back from a day of shooting and was offloading cards.

Ran 2 16gb SxSs and 2 16gb MxRs with Ultra IIs.

Put one of the Sonys into my MBP and it came up with the thumbnails you see in the attachment.

It goes this with both my MBP and Sony Card Reader.

The clips do however load up perfectly fine in the Camera (playback mode) and also in XDCAM Transfer, so not all is lost.

I however do not trust the card anymore Sony NZ will be getting an email monday morning.

Has anyone run into this before? i was shooting 1080 50i SP to match 2 HDV cameras. There are only 4 clips on the card, but its full - filming a concert.

Have never had a problem with my P2 cards and HVX...
Attached Thumbnails
Possible SxS Card Failure-picture-2.png  

Last edited by Joe Lawry; October 10th, 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: a new development..
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Righto. User Error... but how i do not know.

Just put the 2nd of the 2 SxS cards i used into the computer.. and in EX clipbrowser and it came up with the same lack of thumbnail image..

It loaded fine into XDCAM transfer and in came the clips so all good.

Now the 2 Sony cards were used back to back, MxR, then Sxs and Sxs and then MxR.

I was hot swapping as i was on the sticks up a scaff tower shooting a stage. The camera did not lose power at any time, apart from when i swung a battery, but i made sure all that the cards had definitely finished being written too, and at this stage i was running the second SxS and MxR.

Whats REALLY strange is that i thought i'd just copy the BPAV folder off the card at Finder Level and see what happened.. i then loaded the Card folder up in EX Clip browser.. and look thumbnails!

If anyone could shed some light on this very very weird evening please let me know.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Need details to shed light.
Use ClipBrowser 2.5.1. Make sure you updated SxS Driver 1.0.4 if you're using a Mac Laptop with SnowLeopard (10.6.x). Use View/Refresh. Also try changing view from Thumbnails to Detail and see if it's seeing all the clip info. It might just be a thumbnail cache corruption.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Major Player

MBP running 10.5.8

EX Clip Browser 2.00.01. Slightly old but never had any issues with it.
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Major bugs have been fixed. Update.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds