DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   All of my equipment was stolen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465525-all-my-equipment-stolen.html)

Jon Sands October 11th, 2009 11:55 PM

All of my equipment was stolen

I let my very close buddy borrow my ex1 package for a nonpay shoot in new york. Got a call mid day today that the hotel room they were staying in was broken into, all of my equipment, plus a couple grand worth of his stillcam stuff was all stolen. One of the women involved in the film shoot is a lawyer, been in close contact with her, police report filed, etc.

Just wanted to let you know if you come across a camera with the serial number 0103822, then that would be mine and it would be very much stolen property. Also, the ex1 had black electrical tape wrapped around the handle under the viewfinder. Adapter and a sony card in it, bp-u60 battery, azden mic, kata bag, cables, etc.

Thanks

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2009 12:11 AM

Ack. Very sorry to hear this Jon. Exact location? Manhattan? Long Island? Etc.

Oren Arieli October 12th, 2009 12:54 AM

Ouch indeed. I'm sorry for your loss. This is why I hesitate to shoot destination weddings. I hope you have insurance and that your loss is covered. If it goes well, share the name of the insurance company so we can compare them to our own.

For those who don't have EVERY serial number to EVERY expensive piece of kit written in a database...let this be a warning. I've known quite a few colleagues who've had gear stolen. Those that seem to recover the fastest have the most amount of information at their disposal (receipts, warranty cards, serial#'s etc.). Might also be a good time to invest in a portable cable lock to attach locked gear cases to immobile furniture when traveling.

Steve Shovlar October 12th, 2009 01:20 AM

A horrible experience but your insurance will hopefully pay out quickly.

Remember having all my scuba gear stolen once. I never saw any of it again and wasn't insured. A very expensive lesson and ever since have been insured up to the hilt.

For those reading this who don't have their gear insured, the first post could be you. Get yourself covered.

Dean Sensui October 12th, 2009 01:39 AM

Even sadder is that the equipment was borrowed. So the OP wasn't at fault except for doing a friend a favor.

Hard to recover such a loss from a friend. But it's something to consider when loaning equipment out.

Stuart Wilson October 12th, 2009 02:07 AM

Sorry to hear this from across the pond. Hope it all has a happy ending eventually.

Stuart

Adam Stanislav October 12th, 2009 06:24 AM

Very sorry to hear that. I wonder if the hotel is liable for it and is responsible to pay for your stolen equipment.

Craig Seeman October 12th, 2009 08:05 AM

Location theft seems to be one of the toughest insurance items to get in my experience. It seems some companies want so proof such as forced entry. I know people who've had gear stolen on site just by turning their backs. The insurance company didn't cover.

Lots of people rent their kit to pick up a few extra bucks. They need to consider insurance to cover that specifically. In your case you were doing a good dead for a friend which makes it hurt worse.

Post as much detail as possible. Keep in mind those selling on EBay and Craigslist aren't likely to post serial numbers but if one spots a bunch of separate posts from a single seller which matches the items of all or most of the gear stolen, it could be a clue.

Best of luck to you with the insurance.

John Peterson October 12th, 2009 08:34 AM

I am truly sorry to hear that Jon.

I know how something like that really hurts.

John

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1430966)
Location theft seems to be one of the toughest insurance items to get in my experience.

A police report will be critical to have in this case. Jon should see to it that one gets filed.

Shaun Roemich October 12th, 2009 08:56 AM

Sorry to hear and good luck with the business aspects of this from one of your northern neighbours.

Leonard Levy October 12th, 2009 09:11 AM

What was the hotel?

Denis OKeefe October 12th, 2009 09:35 AM

Several years ago I went through a similar experience in NYC and found my D600 for sale on ebay - eventually it was recovered. Some distinctive "wounds", scratches and accessory pieces of tape made my camera look different from others, thats how I found it.
So in addition to writing down serial numbers, putting you name under doors and removable panels and in the camera ID that writes to cards and shows in the viewfinder it may be worthwhile to "customize" and keep a picture of your gear. ANd keep an eye on ebay for a couple weeks.

Marcus Durham October 12th, 2009 10:18 AM

The use of a UV pen to write your postcode/zip code and company name in a few discreet places is also advised.

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 03:16 PM

it happened in soho, and yes a police report was filed.