Ex1 picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Ex1 picture

Out filming today it was a beautiful day lovely blue skies nice greens and browns ideal for filming shot what i thought would be awesome footage. but when i got home and viewed it on my 22in hd screen vi HDMI all the shots look busy like a shimmering on the trees some could pass as a swam of bees

I shot with sxs card 1080p / 25p any ideas would be very helpful

Thanks
Ian
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Trustee

If you shot with the Iris all the way close - f16 it could be very soft but shimmering like a swarm of bees sounds pretty strange. If your backfocus is off that could also make it surprisingly soft, but this may not help your situation at all.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I did the same at a 7 acre desert garden here in Las Vegas. The stuff came out looking great on the FCP edit screen and on a HD monitor. You might research how to set up a custom picture profile. I did that on my EX3 (based on Doug Jensens instruction on his tutorial dvd on the EX3). This could maybe make a difference, unless the problem was strictly a monitoring issue. Good luck.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Leonard

No the iris was around 4.5 watched some stuff i shot in 720p last week and it looks ok

Close up shots look ok its the wide shots over forests that look alive (shimmering) i wonder if i reset the camera it would do the job
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Tom

I have the vortex dvd for the Ex1 and i have set a picture profile i think maybe a reset might help
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

HDMI? How were you going from EX to HDMI?
Since closeup looks fine could it be backfocus softening. It's hard to visualize what you're seeing. It sounds almost like something one would see with HDV, not XDCAM codec.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Craig

I watched the footage from camera to TV vi the component leads this showed the shimmering also i inported the footage vi USB into my casablanca and it shows the same problem, watching the clips on the cameras screen the footage looks like it should no shimmering
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Sounds like edge enhancement to me.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Major Player

So what does that mean then Perrone, I shot some stuff today in 1080i/ 50 and it looks a lot better none of that picture shimmering must be something to do with the hd screen
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ian, I think you have a monitoring problem. You're not seeing an accurate representation given the outputs you're using and the way it's being sent to the monitor plus the monitor's capabilities to handle progressive maybe.

If viewing from the camera you really need to see out of HD-SDI for best results. If going to HDMI in monitor get an HD-SDI to HDMI converter. Make sure your monitor can handle 1080p from the input source. Not all can.

If you input into NLE make sure you're seeing a full resolution, not scaled output to HD monitor or HDTV. Again how you do that may depend on your computer. That can range from 2nd output of graphics card going to the 2nd monitor or use a device like Matrox MXO2 or some other output card specifically designed for video post production.

Monitoring is MISSION CRITICAL for doing professional work otherwise you have NO WAY of knowing what you're seeing has anything to do with what you shot.

I use the inaccurate shortcut of 2nd output of graphics card with DVI to HDMI connector to go into 46" 1080p HDTV. Totally color inaccurate but I have no major issues simply seeing a "clean" image.

Out of camera, anything other than HD-SDI is useless to judge anything other than you have an image.

In any post where anyone says "looks" or "I see" it should be MANDATORY that you explain how you are monitoring.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Craig

Yes the moniter is 1080p, the camera is conected vi the componant lead and i edit on a casablanca S2000 which i download fotage vi the usb port, Iam going to the IOV 2009 tomorrow and will see if i can get one of those HD-SDI to HDMI converters

Many thanks
Ian
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Trustee

why don't you post a clip. Otherwise we haven't any idea what your describing or if it even exists.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Many so called 1080 TV's really struggle with "real" high resolution images. Most HD broadcasts and Blu-ray productions are far more compressed and as a result softer than the footage straight from a camera such as the EX1. The TV's are more often than not setup with lots of detail enhancement, very often you can't actually turn this off. So what you see is not in fact what you get. You should never rely on images on consumer monitors or TV's.
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Could the shimmering be a result of 25p? I never did like the stutter of 25p and wonder if it would be deemed so good if video had be invented before film! It might be worth comparing with 50i.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Geoff

I have tried in 50i and the shimmer is less i was shooting handheld on wide scene shots and even slight movment can be seen blurring the shot, I think for these shots a tripod is a must

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds