EX-1/EX-3 raw footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX-1/EX-3 raw footage?

Can anyone please upload some raw footage shot with an EX-1 or EX-3? Doesn't matter what it is, just full HD cause I'm just planning on buying an EX-3 (unless my budget won't allow me, then I'll settle for the EX-1) and am wondering if my PC can handle raw 1080p XDCAM stuff...

I tried searching for a similar thread but I didn't find anything... If I missed something, apologies in advance.
Alex Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

what nle are you using? putting together a zip now
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

here ya go, 1080p mxf's, should work in any nle

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/Airport%20Footage.zip
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There's this from Doug Jensen who hangs around these parts now and then.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Major Player

If you're wanting to see a variety of shots, this is a short excerpt of a 2 hour documentary that I am currently working on. It will show you the poorest of locations . . . empty hotel banquet rooms with just a plain white wall behind the talent. This is an example of the very worst of locations . . . The EX-3 certainly helped make the locations tolerable to the eye.

Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here are some more examples of fine footage created by Brian ;-)
www.NewLibertyVideos.com
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

did anyone bother reading his full post? he wanted the raw xdcam ex files, to test if his system can handle editing it
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Major Player

or is it possible the request is for RAW HD-SDI footage off the EX? If this is the case, then and ftp server would be required to make a full HD sample clip available for download. An full HD-SDI frame grab into Photoshop comes out to a 16.7MB file size. Please clarify what your expecting by using the term RAW. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Trustee

Jon,

I ordered an EX3 yesterday, so I downloaded your samples, too, to see what to expect. I noticed in two of them that they change their brightness about two seconds after they start.

Is this the standard behavior of the EX3?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

not at all, that was me adjusting the iris for correct exposure during recording
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
or is it possible the request is for RAW HD-SDI footage off the EX? If this is the case, then and ftp server would be required to make a full HD sample clip available for download. An full HD-SDI frame grab into Photoshop comes out to a 16.7MB file size. Please clarify what your expecting by using the term RAW. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sava View Post
1080p XDCAM
clearly xdcam
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

There are a number of XDCAM EX MP4's available for download from the UK Sony site:

Sony : Download XDCAM EX Sample Footage : United Kingdom
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the answers guys, but as Jon pointed out, I needed this footage to test my PC, I know what the EX-1/EX-3 can do image wise, hence why I'm planning on buying one, I was just curious as to how my computer would "react" to the raw footage it produces.

Thanks Jon, I've downloaded your files and played around in Premiere. Seems to work fine, which is a relief. I use both Premiere and After Effects CS4 so as long as I can work with it without any hassle on those two programs, I'm a happy guy.

As for my definition of "raw footage," I don't know, I guess whatever comes off the camera at full resolution? I am not much of a DoP so my technical terms are very limited, as I'm more focused on writing and directing and letting my small team handle all the camera work, unfortunately I have to be the one investing in equipment and then doing the post-production work, so that is why I have to do all the research involved, but once the letters and digits start to appear in debates, I am, for lack of a better term, severely limited.
Alex Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
not at all, that was me adjusting the iris for correct exposure during recording
Thank you, Jon!
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #15
Regular Crew

By the way, I can probably make a FTP account on my server if some of you have more footage to offer, like Barry was suggesting. And maybe more people can benefit from it and not just me...
Alex Sava is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds