Tiffen T1 IR is available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Tiffen T1 IR is available

The Tiffen solution to red contamination in the blacks on the Ex-1 is finally available. I just got my complimentary gift in the mail for helping them figure out the problem.
I got my 77mm filter with threads on both sides so it can be coupled inside a Letus type adapter. I haven't checked to see if that fits inside the EX-1 hood but I think a single filter usually does. The default sale could be for a slimline filter with only threads on one side so ask before you purchase.

If my camera ever comes back from repair I'll be able to test it. But the prototype worked so I'm sure this does.

Its light green so you will need to color balance through it.

I don't see it on the B&H site yet but I do at Able Cine- only $69

Tiffen 77mm T1 IR Filter :: Camera Accessories :: New Arrivals :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Is there any benefit from using the Tiffen over the B+W 486 other than the B+W costs about 2.5 times more?
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Major advantage to the Tiffen ,
Because its a simple dye based absorption filter it doesn't vignette and treats light from all angles equally.
The 486 is expensive because it relies on a special reflective coating that doesn't deal with light evenly that enters from the sides. Hence you get a green vignette when using even a slightly wide angle lens. This is a huge limitation. Also you can't stack it behind another filter because of reflection problems.

IMHO the Tiffen filter is a perfect solution to the Far Red contamination issue on the EX-1 and should be purchased by everyone who owns the camera. Thank god its cheap.

(Caveat that I haven't actually tried my own yet - but the prototype was perfect.)
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Abel Cinetech are useless for us overseas buyers. They are afraid of Jonny Foriegner and won't sell outside the USA. Talk about losing sales!

Anyone know where the rest of the world can pick one up? I need this urgently as I run into this problem on an almost daily basis and have been waiting patiently for this to come out.

B&H don't yet have it.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Trustee

I've seen the filter, i had one in my hand at the IOV show, i saw it on the tiffen stand, they weren't on display, i asked about it and the guy went behind the stand and got it.
The model number on the packet is
77mm TI IR filter W77IR, the price was £97 plus vat.
The filter was very very thin.

I also found out some news about the EX1R, but that thread's closed !!

Paul.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Paul, I was at the IOV show on Wednesday all day and spent some time at the Tiffen stand. It never crossed my mind they would have one there. But $69 compared to £97+VAT= ripoff!

I could order one from B&H, pay duty and still be cheaper than that.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Try TopTeks.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Just rang them they are getting back to me after calling Tiffen.

EDIT. OK Top Teks have just got back to me. they spoke to Tiffen and they will be in available from next week. I have ordered one in and the price is £60 + VAT. So not bad.

Mentioned your name Alistair to them so they owe you a drink! Hopfully mentioning them is not against forum rules, as I don't think there is a UK seller advertising on DVI at the moment.

Last edited by Steve Shovlar; October 16th, 2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #9
Trustee

£60 + vat ! nice one chaps, i'll be getting a couple soon then.

Cheers, Paul.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I also found out some news about the EX1R, but that thread's closed !!

Paul.
Paul - how about starting your own thread about EX1R - I know the other thread was closed because B&H said they had a beaurocractic snafu and "that was that" BUT in gathering more information about the topic there was the top exec from Abel Cine who had contacted the Sony rep and it was indicated that changes were coming - perhaps in January. Also EC Junior found out some info but couldn't post it.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you found out unless speculation of that nature is frowned upon - ? keeping Sony's proprietary secrets
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Trustee

Tiffen gave me two other references

Filmtools in LA - Aaron or Jim Martin - 818-845-8066

or E.C. Professional in NY (212) 333-5570
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just started a thread in the Area 51 forum for the EX1R. I figure that's the place we should discuss until there's something official.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Major Player

I ordered one as soon as I seen the first post, it just shipped...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #14
Major Player

My daughter picked one up for me at AbleCine late yesterday. She was quite impressed with the place. Said they were very helpful. In fact they wanted to close a half hour early when she called, but they waited for her to get there before they closed. Can't beat that.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Major Player

I can't overstate how essential this filter is. I now have a 77mm screw on and will be on the camera for everything I shoot with an EX3.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds