Something BIG on OCT 20, 2009 from SONY - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old October 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Very likely to be the EX1R, EX1 replacement. Just wondering how can they make it better if not for a larger sensor like 2/3"?
Use the Exmor R 'backlit' sensor. That, for one thing, would make it amazingly good in low light, even compared to how it is now.
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Hi Craig,

Interesting theory. Perhaps, as you suggest, Sony will surprise us by abandoning SxS cards. High Capacity SSDs might be a viable alternative.

Is there a prize for guessing correctly?
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
... but it will surprise a lot of people.
In a good way?
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #49
Wrangler

Yes, I think it will be a nice surprise. But that's just me. YMMV of course.

-gb-
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I'm sure what's coming will surprise almost everyone ;0) but I'll be in a lot of trouble I say anything more, probably said too much already.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #51
Major Player

I'll put my bet on an EX5. It's due.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I'm sure what's coming will surprise almost everyone ;0) but I'll be in a lot of trouble I say anything more, probably said too much already.
Alright, with a comment like THAT Im guessing a full sensor to give the Canon 5DM2 some competition.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #53
Major Player

Sony and Panasonic have joined forces in the P2 project ---- no - no anything like that never happend before and probably never will. New full size 2/3 EX camera to compete with Panasonic P2. - I guess.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
Alright, with a comment like THAT Im guessing a full sensor to give the Canon 5DM2 some competition.
Why do people rate the 5D so much? Sure it's a full frame sensor but that doesn't matter as the codec doesn't bear close examination, the skew is terrible and the ergonomics of working with a DSLR is appalling. OK it's easier to get a "film look" but any professional can get the same out of an EX3
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #55
Regular Crew

When I want a short DOF or when shooting golden hour, the differences to me are dramatic.
But I agree its has its limitations and uses. Which is exactly why I bought an EX-3 several weeks ago. For professional uses with clients the EX-3 offers a lot of what the 5D does not.
I like using them together and use them for their strengths. The facility I work at did a night shoot of an Allman Brothers concert recently and in post the footage was displayed by a HD projector on a large screen. The images were breathtaking.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #56
New Boot

It also says:

"You spoke, we listen" on the home page.

So could it could be something very requested...
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #57
Trustee

I hope it is not going to make me regret that I have just ordered an EX3 this week...
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #58
Major Player

I would hold off on buying anything for a few days.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #59
Trustee

Too late for me, I already ordered it on Monday.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I now believe Sony's big announcement will be a 3D XDCAM EX (perhaps called EX3D?).

It will use the EX3's single 1/2" interchangeable lens mount, Sony's recently prototyped beam-splitting 3D system feeding two illuminated "Xmor R" sensors to facilitate very high frame-rates.

It will need a bigger battery to handle the extra overhead and faster recording (on raided SSDs) to handle the extra bandwidth and, of course, a 3D viewfinder. The extra body length and weight makes shoulder mounting a no-brainer.

The camera will be supported by a suite of new applications designed to handle a new 3D file-type and to appeal to the broadest-possible market.

I believe this because Sony are investing heavily in 3D TV's. Their consumer TV division has taken a battering from the competition and they need to make a come-back. 3D is a unique opportunity to do so.

If 3D TV is going to take off there needs to be more 3D content and that will only happen (in todays economic climate) when costs come down. The enormous success of the EX series enables Sony to produce an affordable 3D solution through economies-of-scale. It may even come-in under £10K.

The compact 1/2" blocks and efficient sensors make it perfect for sports coverage especially. They'll need to fix that rolling shutter though. If any of this does materialize then Sony are bound to revise the EX1 & 3 to boot.

- now, hopefully, I can get some sleep.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds