This might be a "dumb" question: displaying the clip number at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

This might be a "dumb" question: displaying the clip number

I have a producer that I work with and we shoot with her Panasonic HVX-200 and when a take is good, she always ask me for the "scene number". So this question dawned on me:

Can the EX3 display the clip number inside the viewfinder? I have gone over the manual and I can't find anything in the camera mode setting to display this information....

TIA....
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not a dumb question at all. Sadly the answer is no it cannot.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks....as I figured that was the case.

Cheers.....
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Not a dumb question.

You can try this method as a workaround, press the Review last clip button and give the time of recording as your clip number.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Asked and answered once before:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1007372-post13.html
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Trustee

Dougs suggestion works and is probably faster than pressing the Review Clip Button, however if you use another menu item then you have to reset the menu to Other > Clip etc.

The only limitation my suggestion has, is that it doesn't show the Clip prefix, it does however give the correct time i.e. 08:10:35 etc,. If you review all the clips using the Media switch then you will also see the date 10:18:08:10:35. One other adavantage is that your client can also take note of the time and later tell you that the clip taken at 08:12 was good. Make sure your camera has the correct date and time setup.

There is a workaround for most things, sometimes they are not ideal but they will get you by.

Quick Tip: If you have the Review button setup to show entire clip then you can instantly stop the playback by pressing the STOP button on the handle Operation Panel
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have a slate / clipboard I use when working with field producers.

It has a digital clock on it and slate info white board as well. The clock is set to same time as Cameras (within a second or so).

The slate part is great for marking scenes (on camera). And the clipboard has log form for comments on takes. The producer or often intern takes notes of time and comments from producer.

This I found to be a very good way to work. Pretty much any camera can be set to free run and current time as TC. Ex3's and a lot of other cams can be "jammed" to common TC.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds