DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Info for all: Transcend 16gb Red Srtipe card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465997-info-all-transcend-16gb-red-srtipe-card.html)

William Griffin October 18th, 2009 06:39 PM

Info for all: Transcend 16gb Red Srtipe card

2 Attachment(s)
Today I got a Transcend 16GB SDHC card for a shoot I am doing this week...and I noticed it had the "Red Stripe" on it as a few posts back..some guys in the UK were saying that the ones with a "Red Stripe" on them were showing media error problems.

So tonight I happy to say, that I put the card into my KxS and then into the EX3 and recorded for 57 mins...with no errors at all. It played back fine in the clip browser. pictures below:

John Hedgecoe October 18th, 2009 08:50 PM

Maybe you were just lucky.

I have a red stripe card and in my EX1 it worked in slot A, but was not recognized in slot B.

Now I use only SxS cards.

Docea Marius October 18th, 2009 11:02 PM

I have 5 cards transcend the red bar, no problems yet one year MXR adaptor

Marcus Durham October 19th, 2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1434312)
Today I got a Transcend 16GB SDHC card for a shoot I am doing this week...and I noticed it had the "Red Stripe" on it as a few posts back..some guys in the UK were saying that the ones with a "Red Stripe" on them were showing media error problems.

Means nothing I'm afraid. I was shooting on one red stripe cards for 3 months before it went bad.

Does the red light take 8-10 seconds to go out? If so the card is very slow and probably not worth risking it with.

Some of my red stripes can clear the red light in 4-5 seconds. Its the 8-10 second cards I now worry about.

John Peterson October 19th, 2009 05:40 AM

He was using the Kensington adapter, not the MxR adapter.

Although I haven't tried a Red Stripe card yet in my six Kensington adapters, has anyone had a media error using the Kensington adapter with a Red Stripe card?

John

William Griffin October 19th, 2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Durham (Post 1434485)
Means nothing I'm afraid. I was shooting on one red stripe cards for 3 months before it went bad.

Does the red light take 8-10 seconds to go out? If so the card is very slow and probably not worth risking it with.

Some of my red stripes can clear the red light in 4-5 seconds. Its the 8-10 second cards I now worry about.

It does take about 7sec to go from red to green.....but the client wants to do use it one time and then archive the card. But I will keep my eye on it.

I did order the Hoodman RAW card and it will be here on Wednesday...so I will report on that.

Marcus Durham October 19th, 2009 08:06 AM

I know I keep on saying it but if any of you are willing, please buy some of the ATP Pro Max 150x cards. I've got two (with two more on the way). The two I have seem quite consistent both in testing and in use and clear the red light in 5 seconds. But we'll only get a full picture if we get lots of people testing and using them.

If you are considering buying cards, please reconsider if you are thinking of getting Transcends and get the ATP cards instead.

I'll keep the forum posted with the results of the two new cards I've ordered.

William Griffin October 19th, 2009 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I have looked into the ATP ProMax 150x card and I do want to order 2 of them to test out, is this the card:

ATP 16GB 150x Class 6 ProMax SDHC Card ATP 16GB ProMAX SDHC 150X Detail Page

Marcus Durham October 19th, 2009 10:13 AM

That's the one. Identical to the two I have on my desk next to me.

Mark Morreau October 20th, 2009 03:45 PM

Marcus, did you get your ATP cards in the UK? If so, where?

Cheers

Mark

Marcus Durham October 20th, 2009 04:29 PM

I got mine from Amazon. I ordered the 2 they had in stock and then ordered another. The final one arrived this morning.

I do have another coming from the USA which will take me to 4 cards (which should be enough combined with SxS and my Transcends that can clear the red light quickly).

I have tried other UK suppliers but my usual people don't stock them. They appeared to have vanished from the Amazon site but with some hunting I did find this page that says they now have 5 in stock:

ATP Waterproof / Dustproof 16GB ProMAX SD Flash Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Twice the price of the Transcends (which are now about 23 quid) but I guess you get what you pay for.

John Peterson October 21st, 2009 07:28 AM

Twice the price of the Transcends (which are now about 23 quid) but I guess you get what you pay for.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure that applies here because this is such a specialized use of these SDHC cards it is unlikely they would be designed strictly for use in an EX camera. Same way Kensington stopped producing an express card adapter that we all wanted. Same way Transcend changed their cards. Now that theory applied to SxS cards - maybe, but not SDHC cards. We are a relatively small part of the overall market.

John

Marcus Durham October 21st, 2009 08:06 AM

Not quite. It appears that in order to reduce cost, Transcend have lowered the specification of their cards. They are still within the Class 6 spec but not with the extra high margin they had before.

The ATP cards still have the margin that we EX1 owners need, so indeed it does look like we are having to pay extra.