EX1R and PMW350 First Details - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick DeBari View Post
Thanks for the info folks!

I was aware that people had tried SxS work-arounds using SxS/SD card readers but I wasn't aware there were specific models that were tested specifically for the EX1R. This now makes me less afraid of going with the EX1R as the media costs scared me.

Thanks,
Rick
Sony are going to release their own "Memory Stick" adaptor, and less expensive SxS cards for use with the EX1r, check it out here. Sony : XDCAM EX, PMW-350, PMW-EX1R Reviewed : Other
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I have found this unit with the telescoping arm and using a belt support very comfortable to use for extended periods. It takes all the weight off your hands. Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 and the belt is here :Shape WLB - The list of our products
Argh! I tried to buy it. It sent me to paypal, which rejected my debit card. I tried three times. Each time paypal claimed my card was rejected. But my bank emailed me that paypal charged it for 0,65 Euro three times and then credited it right back.

I wish companies like this did not use paypal but just accepted credit and debit cards.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #33
Tourist

Hello,

I'm sending you a picture where you can see one hand resting on the handle and the other hand directly on the camera. The camera support on the picture is an older model with only one handle. But the point remain the same, it's possible to have both hands on the camera.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
EX1R and PMW350 First Details-cameleon2-left-hand-resting-handle.jpg  
Charles Vallieres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #34
Trustee

Thank you, Charles. That looks good.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #35
Major Player

Adam - in answer to your previous question about how I focus and also to elaborate on Charles' picture that he posted: With the telescoping arm, all the weight of the camera is transfered to the shoulder support and wherever the arm rests so you do not need a strong grip on the handles at all. I have a Manfrotto remote mounted on the right handle like so: Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-006 and Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-005 so I can zoom and press the record button without touching the camera and on the left side I position the handle straight up, cup it in my left palm and use my first or second finger to reach over and focus - it is very comfortable to do this and you can get some great pan and zoom shots being able to hold the camera well stabilized.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM   #36
Trustee

Thanks, Barry, I am going to order that Manfrotto controller as soon as I post this message (I have so much more to learn about this new camera of mine, it is embarrassing!). Meanwhile the Shape people have assured me they are looking into alternatives to PayPal, which claims it could not verify my VISA card despite them charging me $1 on it successfully and then reversing the charge.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #37
Trustee

Well, I have ordered the Manfrotto controller and it has arrived. Apparently it only works with the EX1 because I sure cannot plug it into my EX3. :)

Edit: Never mind. I was trying to plug it to the remote at the back to the camera. A call to B&H later and I plugged it to the lens remote, and that works. :)
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #38
Major Player

This thread has been hijacked! Can somebody please put it straight? I'd like to discuss the new EX1R and 350.

Chris?
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #39
Trustee

Does anyone know if Sony is planning on coming out with an EX3R soon? I am planning on getting an EX3 soon but I would hate to buy one and then find that they come out with an EX3R soon after.

Thanks,
Garrett

Sorry Ola, not quite an EX1R or 350 question but at least it may get some discussion about the features of the EX1R going again.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #40
Inner Circle

I was told that there are no plans for an EX3R at this time.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Garrett, if you need it, just go for it, allowing enough time to get fully familiar/skilled with it before anything important needs shooting. The EX3 is a great cam - you'd have to chop my arms off to get mine! If an EX3R comes out next year (I know nothing - but it would seem a totally logical step) then the original EX3 (-R) will still be a great cam!...nothing will change that even if it won't have orange backed switches and (perhaps more importantly) better IR handling.

There is always another slightly better upgrade coming in technology - we've all been there with this. It's the price you pay for being at the leading edge - or as most prefer to call it the bleeding edge ( = as in the injury inflicted on your wallet I think!). I tend to try and buy early in a product cycle (as I did with my EX3 and as I've just done with a Canon 7D) but that's not always the best route as mid/late cycle you tend to get a product which has had the little gremlins ironed out with minor redesigns, firmware fixes and quality control issues etc. that you might not even have been aware of within the product but which improve it's reliability/performance to design specifications enormously (I come from a scientific / hi tech manufacturing background in a former career spanning 20 years - albeit not in cameras but I think I know a little about this - you'll just have to trust me on that one!).

OK, maybe this thread really should return to EX1R and 350 discussion now!
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #42
Trustee

Thanks Allister and Andy, I agree that I need time to familiarize myself with the camera and all of its features. I've also got to experiment with workflow. So, I see an EX3 in my near future.

Thanks, and now back to the EX1R and 350.

Now, if I had the means I think I'd go for the 350. But that's another dream.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
I was aware that people had tried SxS work-arounds using SxS/SD card readers but I wasn't aware there were specific models that were tested specifically for the EX1R. This now makes me less afraid of going with the EX1R as the media costs scared me.
I wrote a blog post the other day mentioning most the current and soon to be released XDCAM EX media. You can read at Alternative Media for the Sony PMW-EX1 and the PMW-EX3

As I have an PMW-EX3 the new PMW-350 with larger 2/3" chips on a full shoulder mount cam looks the biz. Glad I held off purchasing the PDW-700. Mind you it's still a very nice cam.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
This thread has been hijacked! I'd like to discuss the new EX1R and 350. Chris?
The proper way to handle this is to use the Report Post system. It's the little "!" icon to the left of every post. I can peel away the posts which don't belong here and move them into a separate thread of their own if you'll please report the first one and the last one of the off-topic tangent. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #45
Trustee

Createasphere - The New Sony PMW-EX1R - Playback - a video from HDExpo.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds