EX1R and PMW350 First Details at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1R and PMW350 First Details

Sony's offical site on the new EX350 and EX1R
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1166605171707
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Very interesting. No pricing as yet today?

The new SxS cards sound the same thing as the cheaper P2 cards. Work the same but limited lifespan. Hopefully they won't have a built in timer to automatically "turn off" after 5 years regardless of how much they have been used.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Wrangler

Steve,

The Sony meeting I was a part of said the new cards will have about 1/10 the read/write life of the regular SxS cards.

The pricing I got was about 20K USD for the body with the newly designed Fujinon lens and right at 18.5K USD for a kit without lens. In either case, the unit is supplied with viewfinder and microphone. It's the same stereo mic that came with the other 3xx disc based cameras.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Major Player

$20,000 with lens and viewfinder, ready to go, is a bargain. Factor in street pricing and we could take another $2000 off that price.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Wrangler

Agreed Steve, it is the 'mid-priced' camera many users have been asking for.

-gb-
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Agreed Steve, it is the 'mid-priced' camera many users have been asking for.

-gb-
2/3rd inch chips. Will be superb in low light. Shame it's not 4:2.2 50Mbs but a Nano can sort that one.

You are right its designed to fill a large hole in the market.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Like to know two things:
when will it be available to buy and will it be the same price as the EX1 on release with a reduction in the price of "old" ex1's.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Looks quite good, but CMOS and 4:2:0. If it's a HD "replacement" or HD companion for the DSR450/570, how will it perform in news shooting....when about all the stills guys fires of their flashes?

Ofcourse 4:2:0 can be solved with a nano flash at the back, but that's one more thing to go wrong in the field...to be a bit picky.

What's also interesting now is how Panasonic see the cmos use, will they respond with CMOS in any higher priced camera than the Hpx300?
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Wrangler

You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera? That's reserved for the higher end XDCAM line. I think the Nanoflash or equivalent is a good way around that problem.

As for news gathering, I don't think this is the market the PMW-350 is aimed at. Not that it won't be used for that purpose by someone. It would have the benefit of reaching into the darkness with those 2/3 CMOS chips and pulling out a decent image.

-gb-
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera?
No, not from Sony! Excluding the 4:2:2 codec is clearly a business decision rather than a technical limitation. I can see why they've done it but I think it is a real shame. I think it means they will just sell a load of these cameras and give away potential market to the Nano Flash. If they added 4:2:2 as a £500 add on, they could squeeze a fair bit more in profit from this camera.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera? That's reserved for the higher end XDCAM line. I think the Nanoflash or equivalent is a good way around that problem.

As for news gathering, I don't think this is the market the PMW-350 is aimed at. Not that it won't be used for that purpose by someone. It would have the benefit of reaching into the darkness with those 2/3 CMOS chips and pulling out a decent image.

-gb-
Well, we just have to wait and see what Panasonic does...if the Avc-i on a 8 grand 1/3" is any direction they aim for I suspect 4:2:2 10bit all over their P2 range at some point.

Actually I was a bit surprised that the PMW-350 futured 2/3" chips, not 1/2". Very nice to get the performance needed in low light over 1/2" and 1/3". And even more surprised they included a lens with autofocus...
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Sony Product Detail Page - PMWEX1R
I love it when people hide things on websites :)
Quote:
The XDCAM EX PMW-EX1R is the direct successor to Sony’s first entry into memory recording – the PMW-EX1. The PMW-EX1R features a range of ergonomic enhancements of the EX1, including an improved hand grip, a one-push S & Q switch and a one-push Auto Iris button. Other enhancements include SD recording in DVCAM, a Cache Recording Function, an Image Inversion Function and an IR remote control receptor on the rear of the camcorder’s handle allowing remote control from both the front and the rear of the camcorder. The PMW-EX1R utilizes three 1/2-inch type Exmor™ CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 (H) x 1080 (V). This technology delivers superior picture performance with full-HD resolution and allows the camcorder to provide an excellent sensitivity of F10 and a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio of 54dB. The PMW-EX1R produces truly exceptional images in 1080p, 720p and 1080i HD. The PMW-EX1R is equipped with a high-quality, high-definition Fujinon 14x zoom lens specifically designed to offer optimum picture performance and unprecedented functionality. The full Sony XDCAM EX line-up provides stunning HD picture quality and efficient nonlinear operation, expanding the creative possibilities in every type of HD video production.

Last edited by Mitchell Skurnik; October 20th, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Tehehehehe
Mitchell Skurnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen View Post
how will it perform in news shooting....when about all the stills guys fires of their flashes?
I read somewhere that the new clipbrowser will have a tool to take care of those half screen flashes. Can someone confirm this?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #14
New Boot

Warren Kawamoto:

Taken from XDCAM-USER.com

"Talking of lightning and flashes, there will be a new version of the Clip Browser software with the ability to automatically correct partial frame exposure or “flash bands” caused by strobe lights."
Attached Thumbnails
EX1R and PMW350 First Details-flash-band-5.jpg  
Yuri Martins Galliett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I read somewhere that the new clipbrowser will have a tool to take care of those half screen flashes. Can someone confirm this?
Yes, that is true. Sony have elected to address the problem outside the camera at this point.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds