My EX-3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Major Player

One never knows why Sony engineers do what they do! There is plenty of wire to allow for this extra movement.

Opening up that hatch wasn't too difficult. Closing it was. There are 2 plastic tabs on the hatch and 4 screws. The four screws alone will hold the hatch in. Not sure why the 2 plastic tabs are there in the first place. For some reason, mine now only has one plastic tab!
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Inner Circle

plastic tabs and very small screws are like socks in a clothes dryer. One always disappears ;-)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Nice camera hack - I had to look to see if it would be possible to put in a plug/jack system so I could really put the VF where I want, but it looks like too much work.
I did find on reassembly if you take the next piece toward the handle off it is easier to remove and put this plate back, no more tabs to mess with.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #19
Regular Crew

in that case, where's my screwdriver.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
There is plenty of wire to allow for this extra rotation.
Ed,

Is it the sort of wire that you could cut and solder plugs to i.e. so you could make an extension cable and so increase your positioning options, or is it that flexible strip with printed wires?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #21
Major Player

Brilliant! I'd love to do that but I'm just too scared!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
Ed,

Is it the sort of wire that you could cut and solder plugs to i.e. so you could make an extension cable and so increase your positioning options, or is it that flexible strip with printed wires?
The wires are individual and loose in there. But plugs would start taking up a lot of room, there are a lot of wires. And I don't know what you would accomplish. There is enough slack to gain a good amount of additional position flexability. The only reason for plugs would be for removal of the viewfinder altogether. But every time you do, you'd be taking that hatch off which means taking the lens off first, etc. And pulling that rod completely out means even more mods.

Major surgery is really what would be needed to make the viewfinder removable. What I did was a very minor prochedure by comparison.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #23
Regular Crew

one small step for man one giant step for my ex3.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #24
Major Player

Alister, I had the same thought, and a viewfinder plug from the betacam would fit nicely in the hole where the EX3 finder rod now sits. But - so close and yet so far - there are too many wires in the bundle to reasonably get into. It would have been very simple for Sony, but that's water under the bridge.
Wouldn't it be great to put the viewfinder anywhere like RED?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Maybe a silly question but would this mod completely void your warranty?

Cheers,

Joe

Quote:
One never knows why Sony engineers do what they do!
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Yaggi View Post
Hi Ed,

Maybe a silly question but would this mod completely void your warranty?

Cheers,

Joe
I cannot say for sure.
But, COMPLETELY? I doubt it. For example; if the SxS slots failed, I seriously doubt they would void the entire warantee. The viewfinder has nothing to do with the SxS slot. If I have a VIEWFINDER problem, maybe they would find the fault might have been caused by the modification and disallow that claim.

But, you never know!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm getting up the nerve to give it a try!!

Quote:
I cannot say for sure.
But, COMPLETELY? I doubt it. For example; if the SxS slots failed, I seriously doubt they would void the entire warantee. The viewfinder has nothing to do with the SxS slot. If I have a VIEWFINDER problem, maybe they would find the fault might have been caused by the modification and disallow that claim.

But, you never know!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #28
Regular Crew

go for it! I am still waiting for a few, "I did it"s. (Slinking off to the yellow corner.)
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #29
Inner Circle

It will invalidate any Prime Support contracts. It's in the contract small print. Any modifications to the camera or un-authorised repairs invalidate the Prime Support agreement. In the UK as this is sold as a professional product you don't have the same rights as a consumer with a consumer product, so beware!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds