Thank you Sony for the EX1R! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I just hope that current ex1 users get the following options via a firmware update:

*toggle S&Q motion (so I can program it programmable button 4 because I use the S&Q Motion funtion a ton and it's a pain to go through the menus to turn it on and off)

*Flip Picture (so I can get a 35mm adapter without purchasing a flip module which is just way too big and clunky IMO, It's the only thing holding me back from such adapters)

What would also be nice:

Not sure if the copy all function in the new EX1R allows you to hook up a USB drive to the USB port and Copy the cards off there but that would be super nice. It's doubtful since Sony is going to be trying to sell the Hard Drive module with express card slot for dumping footage. In otherwords, why spend 2000 on that, when a simple USB Hard Drive would do the trick.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #17
New Boot

Gee I bought my EX1 4 months ago and it is already out of date. I hope the offer an upgrade with regards to the IR filter.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Also a great decision to eliminate the surface mount design of the switches under the handle. The hand would often switch bars on by mistake in the hustle bustle of ENG by just brushing against this area. Looks like now there are physical switches. Can you confirm Alister?

On the price come to think of it even if it was a personal purchase I've long been used to overpaying for Sony gear so nothing's changed there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Have you checked the latest pricing information? B&H has it listed for $7790.00 and for that price you still have to deal with its wrist breaking weight and poor balance.
Oh yes I have seen B&H's price. I think $7790 is too close to $8000 and the EX1R is not an $8,000 camera to me. I wonder if this is Sony's program price so it won't be found for less authorized. I forgot... did EX1 price drop when stock became available? I think +$1000 from the old EX1 price of $6450 is more than enough for the R's upgrades.

The balance could be better but all these cameras are wrist breakers. None of them have been easy on the wrist so not that fair a critique. That's what we get for near pro quality in a small size.

Now put an actual mechanical lens in there to get rid of front and back focus problems people have had plus the delay in manual focus and that would be a good improvement.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes they are slightly recessed physical switches, big improvement.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds