Any Advice please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Trustee

Any Advice please!

I have a 14 day assignment in Kenya coming up and need to travel light. I want to transfer/backup files from my SXS and SDHC cards to a portable drive, but do not want to take a laptop with me. (my 17" screen HP Pavilion is far too big)

Can anyone recommend a good portable drive that will allow data transfers either directly from the camera or via a USB card reader. I have an Epson P5000 portable viewer (80gb) which does work, but it's very slow.

Thank you
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I had the same problem a while ago and looked for a decent device to off-load footage and create a back-up in a compact set-up.

I ended up with this small Asus N10JH-HV006E Netbook PC. It has an Express Card Slot that allows you to download the SxS Pro Memory Cards. I also has a built-in SD/SDHC Card Reader (Great if you are using the MxR Adaptor). If you are using the nanoFlash then purchase the Delkin ExpressCard 34 CF Adaptor for downloading the CF Memory Cards.

I have Clip Browser and Vegas Pro Loaded for checking footage. This mini laptop has a graphics card if you use a different NLE. I like to transfer using Clip Browser with 'CRC Check' to three external Hard Drives (Back-Up the Back-Up of the Back Up). I am finding the LaCie Rugged
250GB Hard Drive
reliable and cost effective.

I know it isn’t as portable as the Epson P-5000 but IMO if far more practical and versatile, not to mention cost effective in the long run.

Hope it helps a bit.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sounds like one of the Nexto boxes would work well for you.

Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface

The NVS-2500 can even playback footage on it's integral screen, the 2725 is a more basic model but fully supports backup from SxS.
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Now that’s versatility in a small package! How much are they?
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

couldn't find to buy in the states the mentioned netbook but the white lenovo ideapad is selling for 300 dollars on amazon and has an expresscard slot and features an atom processor to compensate for smaller battery. 3-4 hours reviewed battery on wide open screen brightness wifi and bluetooth on, streaming lots of videos. Closing all that down to just dump footage surely will get you lots of life. I'm heavily considering it. It's the only netbook with expresscard slot i could find here in the states unless someone else knows of a better one.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
couldn't find to buy in the states the mentioned netbook but the white lenovo ideapad is selling for 300 dollars on amazon and has an expresscard slot and features an atom processor to compensate for smaller battery. 3-4 hours reviewed battery on wide open screen brightness wifi and bluetooth on, streaming lots of videos. Closing all that down to just dump footage surely will get you lots of life. I'm heavily considering it. It's the only netbook with expresscard slot i could find here in the states unless someone else knows of a better one.
List of Asus Suppliers in the USA

Hope that helps!
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The Fujitsu Amilo 3520 has an express card slot and 60gb hard drive.
AMILO Mini Ui 3520 - Small & light mini-notebook, colorful clip-on covers - Fujitsu

I have one of these running OS-X. Picked it up on ebay brand new for £90. Works great.
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry, wasn't really clear there, I think it's that they sell certain models, in the states and then certain models across the pond. That particular model not included in the states. I may be wrong though as I haven't fully researched it. When looking I ran across this lenovo which is pretty freakin awesome though on specs.

Amazon.com: Lenovo Ideapad S10-1311UW 10.2-Inch White Netbook: Computer & Accessories
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I would still go with the Nexto box over a laptop. One step backups, no need for USB drives and cables, much simpler.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #10
Trustee

Thank you all for the suggestions, the Nexto does seem to be the best option.

I was also worried about putting my EX3 into the hold of the aircraft, as my Kata CC197 bag is too big for the cabin. After much experimenting I can make the camera fit into a Kata CC193 bag, this size is OK for the cabin. Just remove all the partition walls and the camera will fit, its not ideal but I would rather handle my gear that see it thrown onto a conveyor belt.
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
I would rather handle my gear that see it thrown onto a conveyor belt.
Totally agree!

Quote:
the Nexto does seem to be the best option.
I'm thinking of a couple for myself!

Enjoy your trip Vincent!
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, I'm now interested in the Nexto.

However, some notes, after researching, if you want one that truly supports sxs cards, your options shoot into the thousands. The only ones with an actual expresscard port in the unit that is. Of course that one actually allows you to preview the clips which is nice.

Nexto DI | Nexto Video Pro Storage Device (320GB) | NVS2500320

The only one that says it supports sxs on the cheaper end are the black models which require the sony reader which you need to plug into the wall which defeats the purpose here are the links to that model and the sony adapter for pricing ideas....

Nexto DI | Nexto Video Storage Device (160GB) | NESV-ND27251654

SBAC-US10

HOWEVER, I'm wondering if I have a usb cable hooked up to the cheapest models, which mentions nothing of SxS support, and keep it in my backpack and rip the footage by hooking it up to the camera through the USB port and rip whatever inactive card down while rolling then verify its on the drive and then format the card without ever removing the cards. Could it work? I might take the dive and get this to see if it does. Check this out....granted I'm trying to find something cheaper than the 160GB Netbook I mentioned above from Lenovo which has an expresscard slot. So what do yall think will the following work?

Nexto DI | Nexto eXtreme (160GB) | NESE-ND270160G | B&H Photo

-Nate
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

To answer my question, I went to their own site....duh, should have done that from the get go.

YES you can backup from anything you can hook up to its USB port. As listed here on their site.

This will be perfect as I can also offload photos from my DSLR through the Compact Flash port.

I'll report back after I order one and get it in. I may call in just to be on the safe side to verify there aren't any issues.
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

now that i kept digging i'm back to questioning it.

It appears that even if you get the more expensive black version which officially supports it and you only do this through USB instead of the extra adapter, it only supports port A in your EX which isn't acceptable. So if that's all you get out of the more expensive unit, then who knows what the cheaper extreme unit will do.

reading info.

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #15
Vortex Media

You might just want to wait a few more weeks and get a PXU-MS240 when they start shipping.

PXU-MS240 Mobile Storage Unit From Sony

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds