EX3 already has improved IR cut. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #31
Inner Circle

That's one of the things I'm trying to establish.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Lance,
I've been shooting stage shows since the EX1 first came out. Despite the extra cost I think you'll find the 486 better suited to your needs. We're never shooting wide enough for the downside of the 486 to be a problem.
Hello Bob,
Tell me do leave the 486 on the camera all time and if you do any have you notice changes to colours etc when shooting outdoors.
Many Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #33
Trustee

Just in case anyone doubted the EX3 has IR problems take a look at my Canon 1D Mkl 1V preview - top item on my home page - the T shirts are black to my eye but not to the Sony lens.

Digital Photography at photo-i
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
From an EX1, just wanted to share. Late 2008 model. Impossible for me to correct in FCP because of very similar background colors. Maybe a pro could have fixed it but no budget for that. Bought the 486 after this :(

Warehouse: Sunlight
Bedroom: Tungsten
Liquor Store: Fluorescent
Graham,

I brought the screen grabs into Avid and tried correcting them. The bedroom scene is definitely a challenge b/c a lot of similar colors in the composition.

The warehouse was pretty straight forward. The matte did choose some other parts of the scene, but it didn't really change the rest of the image that much.

The liquor store looked good as it was, so I didn't mess with it.

Using a filter is definitely easier. But it does lose light, add a slight green bias (even with a new WB) and reduce red intensity, it seems that using one when needed would be optimal.

But I have to say, the bedroom scene was more difficult to correct than I would have thought.

Thanks for the examples.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #35
Major Player

I've had success with Colorista by using the power mask feature. Not ideal but saved my backside where one important interviewee had her black jacket turn brown.

The jacket is still not quite black, but any more tweaking and the other colours in the same area as I'd applied the mask started to look wrong.

Of course if the camera or the subject is moving things would get considerable more challenging.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Graham,

I brought the screen grabs into Avid and tried correcting them. The bedroom scene is definitely a challenge b/c a lot of similar colors in the composition.
Hey Peter thanks for trying that out. I also had some success with the outdoor scenes but like you said, the bedroom was a major challenge. I can't imagine how it could be done without rotoscoping.

I was able to get fairly decent results in most scenes with the video paused. That was achieved with some edge thinning and softening in FCP's 3-way color corrector and when played back, the imperfections of the limiter caused funny motion artifacts that were totally unacceptable.

We finally decided to just leave it as is. Client and fans are happy. I wonder how many people question the color changing clothes when casually watching the video. It aired on MTV India and other big networks out there so it was a shame that the blacks didn't come out like they should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
The liquor store looked good as it was, so I didn't mess with it.
I included that as a reference for what the black fabric should look like. As you know, fluorescents don't emit infrared light (or at least not in great quantities) so there was no problem there.
Graham King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds