DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 already has improved IR cut. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466578-ex3-already-has-improved-ir-cut.html)

Alister Chapman October 27th, 2009 11:14 AM

EX3 already has improved IR cut.

I have just been told that the EX3 already has an improved far-infra red cut-off filter! This is news to me, but came from a source that is reliable and should know! It might explain why I have never found red contamination to be an issue as I use my EX3 for most jobs. My contact was not sure whether the new filter was fitted to the EX3's from the start or introduced later in the production run. Also there have been some changes made to the sealing of the optical block on later units to prevent dust ingress.

So, who with an EX3 has seen the problem or is it just EX1 owners?

Piotr Wozniacki October 27th, 2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1438583)

From what I remember, it's been mainly us early EX1 adopters, Alister :(

Vincent Oliver October 27th, 2009 11:42 AM

Funny you should have posted this today Alister, I have just booted up my computer to post on this very same issue.

I have been shooting all day at the Canon solutions Show in London. All the Canon staff were wearing black T shirts and behold they have all turned brown. I will post a short video clip later, its downloading as I type.

Now in my opinion this is a fault with the Sony camera, and not a deliberate feature to improve the Red gamut as Sony would have us believe. It is totally unacceptable to work with any camera that displays this fault. I will be pushing Sony to provide a solution to this problem - and I don't regard spending £90 - £120 on an IR filter a solution.

Watch this space !!!!

Derek Reich October 27th, 2009 11:44 AM

I have an EX3 and have most definitely seen the problem.... sometimes very noticeable. Fortunately however, the times it has shown up it wasn't that big of a deal that the black clothing affected didn't stay black. So no one but me and the interviewee would know (or an observant producer) One time I recall shooting an interview very late in the day in the Nevada desert. The sun was about half an hour away from setting, and the interview went long. While the sun was low, the IR issue was horrible on a black sweater, but again, who would know the sweater wasn't really maroon? As the sun set, the sweater actually changed before my eyes (in the viewfinder of course) back to black. THAT one was hard to ignore....

If the EX3 really does have improved far red cutoff, then I'd hate to see how bad an EX1 is. My EX3 is about a year old. It would be nice to know if these filters can be updated as new improvements come out.... but it's not giving me that much heartburn. I do have a 486 which works perfectly when I really need to keep blacks black. This would be a much different attitude if I was shooting weddings or corporate events where black suits prevail.

Vincent Oliver October 27th, 2009 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

will post new shots in a minute or two

Leonard Levy October 27th, 2009 12:24 PM

Vincent you didn't say what camera you were shooting with - A Sony EX-3 at a Canon event or was it a Canon camera?
I assume that was in reality a black shirt?

Alister Chapman October 27th, 2009 12:43 PM

I've seen the problem on other cameras, not just EX's. Ther are some pretty dodgy blacks in the studio shots in Strictly Come Dancing for example. Now thi may just be lighting, but to me it looks more like far red contamination.

I'de love to see a side by side comparison of a newish EX3 and EX1. My EX3 is a very early one so may not have the improved filter.... If it's real.

Anthony McErlean October 27th, 2009 01:22 PM

I have my EX3 just about 6 or 7 months and have most definitely seen the problem with the blacks turning brownish.

Vincent Oliver October 27th, 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1438622)
Vincent you didn't say what camera you were shooting with - A Sony EX-3 at a Canon event or was it a Canon camera?
I assume that was in reality a black shirt?

It was the Sony EX3, in the past I always used either a Canon XL1s or XH A1. I am shooting a black tie event in a couple of weeks time and can't see how I can use the Sony for this.

Tom Daigon October 27th, 2009 01:49 PM

Color correct the blacks in your nonlinear editor.

Leonard Levy October 27th, 2009 02:09 PM

Its generally not possible Tom. I've tried it. Their are 2 many shades of "grey" to isolate easily and if you do an all over black correction it turns real blacks green.

David Issko October 27th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

I have just been told that the EX3 already has an improved far-infra red cut-off filter! This is news to me, but came from a source that is reliable and should know!

I saw the IR problem with my EX3 during one of my first shoots over 1 year ago and it repeats itself with the 'correct' (or should I say incorrect) conditions. I am not terribly fussed and although it does not come up too often for me, not one client has commented or asked me about it. It is somewhat annoying so I may look to the Tiffen T1 solution.

Your source may be discussing newer production models rather than the first models perhaps. Check back with him/her to see if it was a blanket statement or part of ongoing improvements that was never publicised.

Cheers Alister

Steve Shovlar October 27th, 2009 02:44 PM

I see this problem with my EX3 every time I shoot in sunny conditions.

A month a ago I was shooting a wedding and the groom, best man and ushers were all standing in a line. Looking through the eyepiece I was wondering why the groom was wearing a dark red suit compared to the other members of the party. Looking straight at them they all looked dressed in black, yet the EX3 was showing the groom in the dreaded red. I fixed it in post, but it's a regular occurance and I for one will be buying the filter at the first oportunity.

Leonard Levy October 27th, 2009 03:50 PM

Steve, how did you fix it in post?
I tried it using only FCP tools and it was impossible for me.

Andy Wilkinson October 27th, 2009 03:53 PM

I got my EX3 at the end of July 08 - so I guess a very early one, certainly the s/n is very low (it's one of the first few hundred, from memory).

Yes I have the IR problem - although I tolerate it because of all the other truely excellent features and stunning picture quality that this cam otherwise brings to my work. Nothing is perfect and it's all about using the tools you have to best advantage / knowing their limitations. With very rare exceptions, 99% of my (mostly corporate) audience don't even notice it.