DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Motion Artifacts in PMW EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466626-motion-artifacts-pmw-ex3.html)

Ramji Meena October 27th, 2009 11:11 PM

Motion Artifacts in PMW EX3

I am shooting a feature film on PMW EX3 with nanoflash.It is a outdoor bright sunny day. While moving the camera I see lot of jerky movements while replaying it.Even the slightest movement of the camera is not smooth.Please help.

Andrew Stone October 28th, 2009 12:21 AM

These comments assume the settings in your camera may be off..

Have you accidentally set your camera up to do "interval recording" in the menus? Easy fix would be to go into the menus and make sure "interval recording" is turned off as well as "frame recording".

I don't think you are talking about the "stepping" you can get in pans with 24 frame recording. However, if you are shooting at 24 frames try shooting at 30P fps, if you haven't tried this already.

Ramji Meena October 28th, 2009 01:25 AM

Thank you Andrew. I am shooting a film and 24P is a must for printing on film. Yes the frame recording and interval recording functions are off. Can you suggest any special setting to reduce the “stepping”

David Chia October 28th, 2009 01:36 AM

What shutter speed are you on? are you on slow shutter?

Andrew Stone October 28th, 2009 01:40 AM

Ramji,

Sorry I didn't connect the dots "feature film"... yes 24 frames...

Still trying to determine if it is the 24 FPS that is causing the jerkiness or if it is the camera or the way you have configured your nanoFlash. If it isn't the 24 FPS and you feel you have ruled out the camera, then I would suggest taking this question into the nanoFlash forum.

Have you tried doing some test footage at 30P to see if the jerkiness disappears? I understand that you have to shoot at 24P but you want to know for certain your issue is that and not some other technical thing that will ruin the whole project.

Alister Chapman October 28th, 2009 04:10 AM

What are you monitoring with? Are you using a 24P monitor

Ramji Meena October 28th, 2009 04:41 AM

.It seems the problem is with shutter speed.Can you please tell me what should be the appropriate shutter speed for outdoor and indoor ?Thanx.

Vincent Oliver October 28th, 2009 06:28 AM

Try a shutter speed that is double the frame rate. i.e. for 24 fps use 1/48 or 1/50. Using a faster shutter speed will mean you are only exposing for a fraction of the 24 fps speed, which may result in jerky movement. By default the shutter speed usually matches the frame rate or 1/24 second for 24 fps.

As Alister suggests, try a different monitor. It could also be that your computer is not feeding the signal out fast enough, hence jerky movement.

Steve Phillipps October 28th, 2009 06:30 AM

General rule is 180 degree shutter (you can set this in the EX3 menus) or for 24P that would therefore be 1/50th sec. This gives the best balance between lack of blur and lack of strobing.
I've asked lots of questions about the effects of the EX rolling shutter on pans, but many others don't think it's an issue, and I'm not going to raise it again here!!!
Steve

Ramji Meena October 28th, 2009 08:53 AM

Thank you so much Steve Phillipps and Vincent Oliver. Tomorrow i will try all the suggestions and will let you know.I am also trying the various picture profile recepies.Thank you.

David Herman October 28th, 2009 12:02 PM

Ramji, I'm in a similar boat and after posting here and elsewhere I am hoping it is the way I am currently monitoring my footage. Would the matrox mx02 allow me to monitor my 25p 50 ex3 footage on a dell 24" display correctly?