EX1R CMOS Flashes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
New Boot

EX1R CMOS Flashes

Specifically how does Sony correct the frames affected by either lightning or flash photos?
David B. Monier-Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Major Player

It does automatically, what I have been doing manually - brightens the dull half of the frame up to match the bright half - meaning there is equal brightness across the whole frame. I have just tried it with my EX1 and it works very well. It just looks like the normal flash frame that you see on a CCD based camera.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's not the way it appears to work from my experience. In the case of interlace it appears to replace the affected part of the field with the same part of the other field which is normally unaffected. With progressive it appears to use previous and following frames to build a new frame. What I have seen in my tests of a Beta of the new clip browser is that in many cases the flash bands are removed completely leaving a frame with no trace of a flash.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Alister,

I am using it right now to do some corrections and the frame that is produced is definitely the lighter flash frame - which makes the fixed frame appear like a normal flash. I am still experimenting, but have not tried the manual fix as yet - which I see does allow you to select which field of an interlaced frame that you wish to "fix". In any case the results are pretty good - not perfect, but hardly noticeable at 25 frames a second. It is certainly a lot quicker than doing it manually in your NLE.

Having said that I am still trying to get the fixed footage into Media Composer. It looks great in Clip Browser, but doesn't seem to export as the fixed mxf file. Probably just my inexperience, but I will report back if I can't solve it.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Graham

Just noticed in Preferences that there is an option for where the corrected clip is saved. It may be that you are just importing the original.

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the tip Nick - I will check it out - I am sure that you are correct!

Edit - found the export settings, I was exporting correct clip - still coming up as a split frame in MC - very strange - looks great in Clip Browser.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Is this using a new version of XDCAM Transfer, or Clip Browser?

I assume this is with the latter, and that there's some conversion involved.

So, the software senses where there's a frame with a big divide on exposure, and clamps the hi-lo-mid of the flashed portion and applies that to the unflashed portion of a frame. Yes?
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

This is indeed good news (and thank you David for raising the subject). I'd really like to see some before and after frames if anyone can help. Also what happens in overcranked footage, progressive footage, slow shutter speed footage when electronic flashes have gone off?

But most of my stuff is run 'n' gun, and my slo-mo has to be done in post when I can take the time to choose when and where, what sine wave to employ and so on. The CMOS ½ and ¾ frame over-exposure doesn't bother me too much in 'normal footage' (though I'd rather it wasn't there of course), but it sure has forced my edit when I'd have liked to slo-mo that bit.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #9
Trustee

I wish clip browser could play the mxf files after conversion, i use vlc player to play mxf files but it's buggy, keep crashing and won't let me jump to different sections of a clip.
What do other people use to view mxf files ?

Paul.
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Problem solved, got this sony mxf player, much better.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...l-PDZVX10.aspx

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds