DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466717-stronger-ex1-bottom-plate-available-now.html)

Olof Ekbergh October 28th, 2009 09:10 PM

Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now

2 Attachment(s)
I have made a number of these stronger EX1 bottom plates, and people like them.

I have also replaced broken Sony plates.

If you are interested contact me. And I will send you more info.

olof@westsideav.com

Matt Davis October 29th, 2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1439464)
I have made a number of these stronger EX1 bottom plates, and people like them.

In the interests of open debate, how does this compare with the Tiger Claw?

I have an EX1 that mates with a Sachtler DV8 and I am concerned by the 'give' and 'wobble' in the union, especially in warmer climates. I don't own bigger cameras, I don't want lots of bulky kit as I fly a lot. How will this help me?

And 'how much'? :)

Bob Grant October 29th, 2009 04:01 AM

Two advantages to this plate:

1) The plate is a solid piece of metal that is better attached to the camera than the plate Sony provides. This is achieved by having more screws into the camera chassis.

2) This plate can be attached to the tripod release plate using two screws a large distance apart.

Combined these two features will dramatically reduce the possible range of movement between the camera body and the tripod head compared to a screw and a pin.The other not insignificant advantage is preventing the original plate from being ripped out of the camera.

As the plate is made of aluminium the extra weight will be quite small.

Only thing I'd like is for these plates to be black anodized. I'd also be happier if the threaded holes had stainless inserts but that's likely to add considerably to the cost.

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 05:52 AM

The price is $125.00 plus shipping. They are shipping now USPS, UPS or FEDEX.

Thank you for the input, Bob.

I am looking into having plates anodized or powder coated.

I may set up anodizing myself, and there is a shop here in town that does powder coating.

I will find out how much this will add to the price and I will order stainless inserts if a lot of users would prefer that. I should be able to get those in a few days.

I will post added cost here as soon as I have info.

Contact me if you want more info.

olof@westsideav.com

Alister Chapman October 29th, 2009 06:50 AM

Looks good Olof. I have been using a similar home made plate and it does make the EX1 much more stable by using the extra screws at the rear of the camera body. The additional plate on the right side would work well as a mount for the Nanoflash. How much with the plate?

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 07:07 AM

The cost with a side plate is $150.00

I can drill and tap side plate to your specs. Or I can make a hotshoe mount on it.

Contact me if you want more info.

olof@westsideav.com

Matt Davis October 29th, 2009 07:42 AM

Will it hold a Sennheiser G2 receiver pack?

This is looking like a no-brainer - little wing at the rear to hold a wireless receiver like the Senny G2 100? Saves having it clipped to the hand strap so you can strip your knuckles bare! I would, though, think that an adonised (black or whatever) finish would be mandatory.

Will it fit the new EX1R too? :)

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 08:12 AM

I have not seen a production model of the EX1r yet.

As soon as they ship I will try to get hold of one so I can make sure plate fits.

I am looking into powder coating or anodizing, I am also getting a quote on stainless inserts.

Alister Chapman October 29th, 2009 11:57 AM

It looks like it should fit an EX1R except for the hole spacing as the EX1R has 2x 1/4" threaded holes in the base plate with a non threaded hole in between them. It looks like the side wing is far enough out from the body to clear the new HDMI port which sticks out about 10mm.

How do I order one Olaf?

You might want to show it to Dan at Convergent Design.

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 12:19 PM

Hi Alister,

Just send me an email to order one. I am getting my powder coating setup next week. So I can send you a black next week. Or if you are in a hurry I can send you a brushed aluminum this week.

Let me know if you want the "wing" to be threaded for the Nanoflash. I will contact Dan if you send me his info.

Thanks.
olof@westsideav.com

Barry J. Weckesser October 29th, 2009 04:26 PM

Olof - how do you envision the Nano being attached to this plate? on the outer side away from the camera or is there room between the plate and the camera body. I may be interested in this if it could fit closer to the camera body or somehow be mounted in between the body and the plate.

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 04:41 PM

Barry,

I can make the plate to any spec. The original "wing" was meant to hold the mic receiver on the inside using velcro.

I have ordered a EX1r myself and I will be getting the Nano for it.

I would be happy to make a "wing" specifically for the Nano. If you send me specs or photos with measurements, I would be very happy to make you a wing for it. And I would guarantee the fit.

Contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

Gints Klimanis October 29th, 2009 04:45 PM

Olaf, are you selling just the bottom plate or the entire assembly shown in the right-most picture that are mounted on the EX1?

Olof Ekbergh October 29th, 2009 05:08 PM

Gints,

You can order just the plate or plate with "wing", I like the word wing, I used to call it side plate. Matt Daviss on this forum started calling it a wing.

I can customize the wing to what you need.

I made one for myself initially for my EX3 to mount a pair of Sony wireless mic receivers. If you send me specs I will customize wing to your needs.

For ordering or more info contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 08:22 PM

Look nice Olof,

Sent you an email on ordering one anodized with Nano mounting on the wing.