Thinking of getting a SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
OK Barry, thanks for the tip.

I'll have a look around.
Here is the same thing as the Siig only in white (I have one of these also): -they ship to Northern Ireland for $ 37.00 (U.S.) + $ 49.99 for the unit itself.

PCIe to ExpressCard 34/54 Bay (1-Slot Card Drive / Adapter) for Desktop Computer
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks for the link Barry.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Major Player

You are welcome. It has been awhile since I have used this to download since I use Nanoflash now and download with a USB reader from the CF cards. From what I can remember the Expresscard adaptor is 2-3 x as fast as the SBAC reader.

One thing you have to remember - you have to do the "scan for hardware changes" under device manager both when you remove a card and then when you reinsert the card. It is an annoyance but just takes a few seconds compared with a BIG time savings in downloading from the SxS cards.

You mentioned before about dowloading to more than one hard drive - consider Shotput Pro - downloads up to 3 hard drives in the same time as one hard drive. I would say that you could download a 32 GB SxS card to two hard drives in under 15 minutes - of course then you wouldn't have the excuse for a "pint of Guiness" sooo.........
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Trustee

[QUOTE=Barry J. Weckesser;1442152... of course then you wouldn't have the excuse for a "pint of Guiness" sooo.........[/QUOTE]

LOL :)

Thanks once again Barry. I'll check out Shotput Pro.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
...then i transfer from sxs to sdhc in camera, then offload that shot with the sdhc>usb reader.

Paul.
Paul, out of curiosity how do you copy from SxS to sdhc with the camera.

I see you can copy one clip but how would you copy all clips in one go?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Trustee

It's not possible to copy all clips at once in the EX1, however it is possible in the new EX1-R, hopefully with a future firmware upgrade it will be possible for the EX1 and EX3 to copy all clips at once.
Apparently the future firmware upgrades will be user done.

Paul.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #22
Trustee

Thanks Paul.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi Mark, Any details.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #24
Major Player

This is one reason I love the SDHC workflow. It's a lot more flexible when transfering footage. Using an SDHC USB adapter is fast enough for me, in fact it's faster than connecting your camera via USB. I just got a 13" MBP and SDHC works perfectly with that without an adapter. If I was using SxS media I'd have to connect up the camera. To me the SBAC-US10 is useless since it's not buss powered. I'd rather use the camera so it can be battery powered.

I do believe you're right about ExpressCard being on the way out on laptops. The Memory Stick solution is great since it's a Sony supported alternative to SxS. Once it's available, I might switch to that.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #25
Trustee

Thanks Brett, for your input. I'm starting to think along the lines of a laptop, one with an eSATA port as well, handy for copying to my eSATA external H.Drive.

I was looking at this...

Acer Aspire 5739G Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz 15.6" LED Laptop

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; November 9th, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: removed link to laptop
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds