DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466980-thinking-getting-sbac-us10-sxs-card-reader.html)

Anthony McErlean November 2nd, 2009 08:55 AM

Thinking of getting a SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader

I was thinking of getting this card reader. It takes my Ex3 a long time to offload a 32gb sxs card to the PC.
Is there another way of doing this faster, than I can do at present.
BTW I only need to offload when I get home from my weddings, not during them.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Hudson November 2nd, 2009 09:53 AM

Just wondering, how are you currently offloading your footage? Are you using the USB port from the camera?

One reason I chose to purchase the EX1 is for the fast offloading in my laptop through the expresscard slot. Any USB options instantly double the time it takes to offload the footage.

This is one reason I was very upset at Apple killing off the expresscard slot. Sure they still sell the 17" MBP with it still, however, I fear they will be killing it completely when they redesign/refresh it.

Unfortunately, this puts a lot of us in a tough spot. I'm not sure any other way increase the speed as USB is simply USB. I have been eyeing this one lenovo netbook that has an expresscard slot and is only $300. Even though, I have a 15" MBP, I really don't like carrying my $2k+ laptop to all my shoots and a 10" netbook saves on space and weight.

-Nate

Colin Rowe November 2nd, 2009 11:13 AM

Hi Tony.
How long, is long, 35 mins or so ? I would save your money if there is no need for speedy off loading in the field. As you say you are off loading at home, No rush, no problem. Start the transfer, have a cuppa, or pop down the pub for a pint of Guiness. Never been one to spend, when its not nessesary, and at £310 it aint cheap.
All the best.

Paul Kellett November 2nd, 2009 11:23 AM

I sold my sony card reader when i started using the sdhc cards, i now use a sdhc>usb reader.
If i shoot anything on my sxs card, which is rare nowadays, then i transfer from sxs to sdhc in camera, then offload that shot with the sdhc>usb reader.

Paul.

Anthony McErlean November 2nd, 2009 11:30 AM

Hi Colin,
It takes 1 hour to offload a 32gb card and 30 min to copy the two 8gb cards.
I then would need to make a backup to another drive after that, especially if I'm out again the next day, If I'm not, theres no big rush and your right, not much need in spending again, if its not needed.
The cheapest I can get one for is £270.
Just a thought, I wonder would the sony card reader copy it any faster than the camera.

Thanks again Colin.

Anthony McErlean November 2nd, 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1441725)
... then i transfer from sxs to sdhc in camera, then offload that shot with the sdhc>usb reader.
Paul.

Thanks Paul, thats a thought.

I bought this to copy my SDHC cards but it no good for the SxS cards

LINDY USB 2.0 ExpressCard Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Colin Rowe November 2nd, 2009 11:35 AM

It probably is faster Tony, but then again only of use if you need to off load in a hurry. For that sort of money I would take a nice weekend break, to get away from cameras and all that goes with them, lol. Have you considered the new Memory stick adaptors, for the EX1r ? dont know if they are useable in your cam, I guess they should be with a firmware upgrade. They would probably be a lot faster to off load than SxS. I can transfer a 16gb SDHC from my HM100 in about 16 minutes, just plug the card into the inbuilt reader and away it goes. Should be about the same speed for Memory Sticks.

Anthony McErlean November 2nd, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1441735)
..I would take a nice weekend break, to get away from cameras and all that goes with them, lol.

Now, thats a better idea! why didn't I think of that. :)

Barry J. Weckesser November 2nd, 2009 12:16 PM

Anthony - you could get something like this : SIIG, Inc. : PCIe to ExpressCard Bay - (JJ-000082-S1 ) depending on what type of computer system you have - download times are fast and it is cheap - it doesn't "hot swap" but if you are on a PC you can go to device manager and right click on "disk drives" and choose "scan for hardware changes" and it will recognize the card (this is after you have inserted an SxS card in the slot on bootup of the computer).

Anthony McErlean November 2nd, 2009 12:21 PM

Hi Barry and thanks, yes, I think I could install that into my PC.
I'll look for something like that over here.

How would you think this would work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/StarTech-PCI-E...item3356ffcff5

Bob Hayes November 2nd, 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1441725)
I sold my sony card reader when i started using the sdhc cards, i now use a sdhc>usb reader.
If i shoot anything on my sxs card, which is rare nowadays, then i transfer from sxs to sdhc in camera, then offload that shot with the sdhc>usb reader.

Paul.

So you copy from the SxS to the SDHC card in camera. Can you do slow motion? My post people prefer the SDHC Cards because they doesn't have to use the SxS reader.

Paul Kellett November 3rd, 2009 02:53 AM

Yes slo mo, i shoot it on my sxs card then copy it to my sdhc card, do the copy in camera from slot to slot, then offload the slomo shot from the sdhc card.

Paul.

Barry J. Weckesser November 3rd, 2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1441756)
Hi Barry and thanks, yes, I think I could install that into my PC.
I'll look for something like that over here.

How would you think this would work?

StarTech PCI Express to Expresscard Front Bay on eBay (end time 29-Nov-09 12:08:49 GMT)

I tried one of those and nearly fried my computer - it has a connection to hook it up to your computer power supply and, after I rebooted the computer, sparks came from the bay and I smelled an "electrical fire" type smell. I would stick with the Siig.

Here is one that ships wordwide:
JJ-000082-S1 PCIe to ExpressCard Bay Siig on eBay (end time 09-Nov-09 17:42:02 GMT)

Only problem is they get you on the postage. Try to find one in U.K.

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 06:16 AM

OK Barry, thanks for the tip.

I'll have a look around.

Mark David Williams November 3rd, 2009 07:41 AM

Tony you can buy my one off me?

Mark