E-films Announce Buy 2 Get 1 Free “Just like Tape” Promotion at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
E-films Announce Buy 2 Get 1 Free “Just like Tape” Promotion

E-films Announce Buy 2 Get 1 Free “Just like Tape” Promotion and Price Drops


Sydney, Australia, 22 October 2009–After the runaway success of both the E-Films MxR and e-LCR, as easy to afford replacement cards for SxS memory cards in the Sony EX-Series cameras, E-films is pleased to announce the launch of its Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotion on its MxR and e-LCR product lines.“We want to make sure we get our adapters into the hands of every EX user in the world, so that they too can enjoy tremendous savings.” says Business Development Manager Jeromy Young.

The MxR and e-LCR (Lockable Card Reader)utilizeUSB 2.0 technology to reduce the cost of solid-state media recording for the EX1 and EX3 series cameras by utilizing off the shelf SDHC memory making the cost of media “Just like Tape” while keeping the inherent advantages of solid-sate recording.

“This promotion further reduces the cost of these solid state memory cards by another 1/3 bringing them closer into line with the ultra cheap tape based workflows of the past. Due to the extremely low cost, E-films MxR and e-LCR products are redefining the solid state workflow, eliminating the need to reuse cards, allowing the user to archive and store the original recordings “Just like Tape!” says CEO Ross Herewini.

The SDHC memory used in conjunction with the E-films products is doubling in capacity and halving in cost every 6 months. The reduction in the cost of memory and E-films continual drive to make these solutions as affordable as tape based workflows means huge cost savings and improvements in workflow for EX1 and EX3 users.

E-films have also reduced the cost of their Multi Card Reader (e-MCR) to $149.99 to coincide with the promotion. Now there is no better time to purchasethecomplete recording and download solution for the EX camera series.

The promotion will run from October 22 to November 30, 2009 online and from your local value-added reseller, please visit E-Films Video Productions for details on where to purchase the E-films products.

*** Please note Hoodman USA is not an OEM distributor of the original or updated versions of the E-Films MxR or e-LCR cards.***
__________________
Ross Herewini - E-films
Makers of the new MxR Extreme
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rhinelander, WI
Posts: 1,209
I wonder if anyone makes such an adapter using the PCIe interface instead of the slower USB2 interface, so it could use the full overcranking the EX cameras can do, while still using those cheap SDHC cards. Then I might even buy one.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 318
i've never used this type of media. is the e-LCR worth the extra money? are their pros and cons to both types, MxR vs e-LCR? please stat the obvious answers due to my inexperience with these systems.

thanks.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lexington, Ma
Posts: 283
With the e-LCR, you insert the memory in the adapter, and they become one piece. Place the sticker on the adapter with the content information, and archive the whole thing. (You can pull the memory out with a small screwdriver if needed, but it does not pop out)
__________________
Alex Dolgin
Dolgin Engineering
Camera DC Power accessories, Fast 4 position Battery Charger
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
I wonder if anyone makes such an adapter using the PCIe interface instead of the slower USB2 interface, so it could use the full overcranking the EX cameras can do, while still using those cheap SDHC cards. Then I might even buy one.
Hi Adam,

We researched this card, and have working versions with an SDHC card, and one using Samsung flash, as a complete replacement for the SxS card.

There was one snag. The same snag we hit with the P2/SDHC card.

Without going into the in's and out's of it, we would have violated Sony and Panasonic copyright in selling either unit. Something we didn't do with the MxR and e-LCR.

So for now both projects are not abandoned, just in hiatus, and we moved onto other projects.

Pity.
__________________
Ross Herewini - E-films
Makers of the new MxR Extreme
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rhinelander, WI
Posts: 1,209
I'm going to assume you mean patent. In that case, I am sorry to hear that. But I still have to wonder if an adapter is sufficiently technologically different from an SxS card that any patent might not apply. It would be well worth discussing that with a patent attorney. Though it might not be worth the hassle of being dragged to court by Sony even if you might ultimately win the case.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 318
MxR compatibility with ExpressCard slot on MBP

i know this topic has been talked about before on many threads, but i'd just like someone to confirm what already been talked about even though i know it frustrates people when inquisitors don't do their own research. so here goes:

1. are the MxR card readers compatible with MBP's ExpressCard slots for importing?

2. i've heard that they won't work with the Sony SBAC-US10 reader because of the USB, PCIe interface. i'm not exactly sure. that's what i'm wondering.

3. the main differences i've heard between SxS cards and alternatives like the MxR combos is that you can only over-crank to 48fps consistently for long periods of time without error. are there other differences besides the ones i mentioned above? if those indeed are differences.

thanks,
Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 27
I'm very happy with the MXR cards I bought. I've been using them almost a year and have worked very well. I purchased Sandisk SDHC cards off ebay for around $30 a piece and now I go a full day without ever having to dump the cards off. I can do all that at my convenience at home or wherever and not worry that I might lose something in the frantic. I recently got a e-LCR to be able to use 32GB cards and it works but not as well as the MxR have. When I format it, it gives me an error, media not readable whatever. I have to remove the card and insert again. It then says media needs to be formatted and does this and the card works just fine. I can remove the e-LCR and insert and it works while I'm recording, and want to add later whatever, it's only when I format that card that it gives me that issue and I have to remove and insert so it's really formatting twice to clean the card completely.
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lexington, Ma
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee View Post
i know this topic has been talked about before on many threads, but i'd just like someone to confirm what already been talked about even though i know it frustrates people when inquisitors don't do their own research. so here goes:

1. are the MxR card readers compatible with MBP's ExpressCard slots for importing?

2. i've heard that they won't work with the Sony SBAC-US10 reader because of the USB, PCIe interface. i'm not exactly sure. that's what i'm wondering.

3. the main differences i've heard between SxS cards and alternatives like the MxR combos is that you can only over-crank to 48fps consistently for long periods of time without error. are there other differences besides the ones i mentioned above? if those indeed are differences.

thanks,
Mike
Yes, correct. FAQ - MxR Expresscard Reader has more in depth answers
__________________
Alex Dolgin
Dolgin Engineering
Camera DC Power accessories, Fast 4 position Battery Charger
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hogan View Post
I recently got a e-LCR to be able to use 32GB cards and it works but not as well as the MxR have. When I format it, it gives me an error, media not readable whatever. I have to remove the card and insert again. It then says media needs to be formatted and does this and the card works just fine. I can remove the e-LCR and insert and it works while I'm recording, and want to add later whatever, it's only when I format that card that it gives me that issue and I have to remove and insert so it's really formatting twice to clean the card completely.
Are you sure this isn't a SDHC card problem rather than a adaptor problem? I've been trying to alert people on here to the fact that just because a brand of SDHC card has been OK in the past doesn't mean that newer cards are OK.

See my findings with the Transcend cards below. Basically (and I know I keep on going on about this but it is important) there can be changes in the SDHC card manufacturing process to reduce costs which keep the card within class 6 spec but impact the EX1/EX3:

Video Production | Media2u Video Production Blog

Do your old cards work in the new adaptors OK? Do your new cards work in your old adaptors OK? I'm willing to bet its a SDHC card problem rather than the adaptor.
__________________
Marcus Durham
Media2u, Corporate Video Production For Your Business - http://www.media2u.co.uk
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
Yes, correct. FAQ - MxR Expresscard Reader has more in depth answers
thanks Alex, that link was very helpful, but i'm still unsure if the MxR combo can be used with a MBP's Expresscard slot for importing footage onto the internal HDD or an external HDD.

thanks again.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
Hi Michael,

The MxR and E-LCR both work with MBP, 15" and now the latest 17". There were a couple of isolated instances where the mac would not read the first generation of the MxR. But since we updated the PCB for the e-LCR and now the MxR, we have had no further reported problems.
__________________
Ross Herewini - E-films
Makers of the new MxR Extreme
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #13
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hogan View Post
I'm very happy with the MXR cards I bought. I've been using them almost a year and have worked very well. I purchased Sandisk SDHC cards off ebay for around $30 a piece and now I go a full day without ever having to dump the cards off. I can do all that at my convenience at home or wherever and not worry that I might lose something in the frantic. I recently got a e-LCR to be able to use 32GB cards and it works but not as well as the MxR have. When I format it, it gives me an error, media not readable whatever. I have to remove the card and insert again. It then says media needs to be formatted and does this and the card works just fine. I can remove the e-LCR and insert and it works while I'm recording, and want to add later whatever, it's only when I format that card that it gives me that issue and I have to remove and insert so it's really formatting twice to clean the card completely.
Hi Ben,

Can you please give some more detail about which SDHC card you are using? The e-LCR works beautifully with a large number of 32GB cards, the first generation MxR only worked with 32GB Transcend. I'm keen to hear about the combination that you having a problem with.
__________________
Ross Herewini - E-films
Makers of the new MxR Extreme
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 318
ok, thanks for all of your help. as soon as i can sell one of my SxS cards i'll take advantage of the 3-for-2 special.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 27
I'm using a Sandisk 32GB Class 4 SDHC card in the e-LCR. I use Sandisk 16GB Class 4 SDHC cards in the MxR and they have always worked just fine. I can use the 16GB in the e-LCR and it works fine. It's just the 32GB card that when you try to format it, it says NG:Cannot Format. Then I pull the e-LCR out, re-insert and then it will say media needs to be formatted, which I do and it works fine.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the e-LCR card, I just meant using Sandisk 32GB was giving me an extra step to make it work. I do say I like the MxR where the card clicks in and out easier than the pressed completely in on the e-LCR adapter. I don't have the peace of mind with no click or anything. Plus I need a little bit of a fingernail to get it out. My reason in getting the adapters was to use multi SDHC cards and the adapters are just to give me the link between camera and card to make that work using the less expensive SDHC cards rather than SxS cards.

I do own 2x8GB and a 32GB SxS card. The 32GB SxS cost over $1000 and I have 2 MxR, 1 e-LCR, 1x32GB SDHC and 5x16GB SDHC that all costs under $500 total.

Maybe I try a different brand of 32GB card like Transcend...
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network