On location with Nike and the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

On location with Nike and the EX1

Did a shoot with Nike earlier this spring for their 2009/10 collection and they published it on the site today.

Direct link to the video here
http://cdn0.mpora.com/play/video/7y9ODXK1E/mp4/

For the whole story hit over to:
Nike 6.0 - Insider - Nike 6.0 End of Season Shoot ? Sweden, Spring 2009

Cheers!
Christofer Thelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

was it a naked ex1? there were some shots in there that looked like you had a swing tilt, so I assumed MBL.

I love shooting action sports. Looked like fun. Did notice the snow clipping out in some shots though.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This is just a naked EX1 with my custom color profile. Itīs edited by Nike in London.

Itīs a shame since they didnīt use the action shots that I thought was the best since there were some more non "Eurosport" angles there to ;)

The swing tilt I accualy did with just a shorter fixed legt on the tripod (uneven lenght on the 3 legs) and just counterbalanced it untill the leg hit the ground.
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Great video Christofer,

were the slow mo segements done with the EX1 or in post?

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for sharing. Excellent shooting.

The slo-motion looked great. Please tell us what framerate etc... you used.

I would say with this high profile type of shoot you were lucky the studio strobes did not create any CMOS effects in the video.

I would have been sweating this if I had known there were going to be flashes with every jump!

Good thing the shots were wide and strobes were not powerful enough to overpower the ambient light.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, glad you all liked it
Everything is done "in-camera"
I usally shoot 720/24/60fps for slow with 250 shutter or greater (this camera really demands highspeed shutter to get great slowmotion) Always in macro with a full iris to give some dof. Always whant to have as little equipment as possible with me since, dollys, cranes asf ad weight on the mountain/sled. We did have a huge cherrypicker for this shoot but Nike didnīt use any of the shots.. ashame since it was a hassel to get up the moutain behide the snowcat.

I dont realy see the flashband as an issue since i know its there I look at it as an image effect. (Tips, see Iron Maidenīs Flight 666 whitch is made with the EX1) With the new XDCAM Clip browser however you can just correct all flashbands right at import to.. but as I said.. I accualy like the look, like film clutters but in the digital world =)

To avoid flashbands.. just dont let the flash fill the whole frame with light.. and you get away with most things.. Did a indoor shoot with the Four Stars team from US and that sucked.. the shoot was in a cave with flashes everywere.. there the problem was more annoying..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds