Using 48fps for music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using 48fps for music video

Hey Guys, I have a situation where the client wants me to shoot music video overcranked so we can slow it down in post. I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how I will sync up the video to actual audio recording. He is going to play the song at double speed. Any ideas will be more then welcomed.

Jason
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason LeFrense View Post
Hey Guys, I have a situation where the client wants me to shoot music video overcranked so we can slow it down in post. I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how I will sync up the video to actual audio recording. He is going to play the song at double speed. Any ideas will be more then welcomed.

Jason
Playing the song at double speed, syncing it with you 48 fps overcranked video, and then slowing them both down 50% would work as far as sync is considered. However,

- speeding/slowing any kind of music this much brings about a lot of pitch-related problems. If you have really good, pro tools for preserving the pitch, you could try this path.
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Piotor is correct. I did the same thing in this music video
. Slom-mo stuff starts in the middle of the clip

The band may have difficulty playing and singing along to the double speed playback, but the results are pretty cool
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Playing the song at double speed, syncing it with you 48 fps overcranked video, and then slowing them both down 50% would work as far as sync is considered. However,

- speeding/slowing any kind of music this much brings about a lot of pitch-related problems. If you have really good, pro tools for preserving the pitch, you could try this path.
Unless all the music is completely MIDI based. The beauty about midi is you can adjust tempo without pitch shifting.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

great job on the video man, the footage looked great. Thats exactly what I am trying to do. The band actually has the recording in double speed so they plan on playing it on set so they can sync to it.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Maybe I am missing something but you would not need to slow the music down for the final output.

You would perform on the set with the music playing on set at twice speed, but you would only slow the video down to half speed in post.

If everything worked well your music playing at normal speed would match the now 1/2 speed video.

So no audio pitch problems should be in the mix.

The video "My Sacrifice" by Creed comes to mind. Most of this video is shot this way. Looks great.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I shot 2 music videos both at 60 fps S&Q and did not change pitch. I velcroed a $200 audio recorder to the camera rig, set it to 48khz, attched the shotgun, slated every shot that had a performance. The audio synced perfectly in post. After syncing it was just like I recorded with camera audio.

Here's the first video. It's my first music video ever so nothing special: Bohemia - Charso Bees (420)
Graham King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds